1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV, R school

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tom Petty, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

A simple question: Do radio and television sports guys speak passive as hell on purpose or is Yoda like the national chair of every TV and radio school?

I just watched a replay of yesterday's game in Pitt., and as the winning FG was being kicked, the announcer said, "The kick is up ... good, it is."

Yoda speak seems to be the standard, not only in that game but in every game I watch or listen to. Why?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I did all three in school. Never were we told to speak that way. (See what I just did there?)

It might have been a slip, but I don't know. I wasn't listening. It sounds -- and reads -- stupid, so I don't think any professional broadcaster would make that his or her style.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

You mean, "Never told to speak that way, we were." :D

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i was just giving one instance, mike. almost every stinkin' play-by-play guy in the country speaks like yoda. and it seems like national guys aren't any better than local guys when announcing games, either.

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

it's good, like Nedick's

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Makes them seem wiser, it does.

...or so they think. ;)

7. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Indeed

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

just uttered ... "and with a first-down play, tomlinson."

WTF?

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

or "open is jackson."

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I think it's time to write your Congressman.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Perhaps in a situation like this, it's because the first thing you can ID is that a guy is open. It takes a second longer to figure out who he is. So you tell your viewers first that a guy's open or that a guy just picked up a first down or whatever, then you tell them who it is.

But then, I'm not a broadcaster. I just make fun of them.

12. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Rick Romo prefers the active voice.

Draft saved Draft deleted