1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV people in the press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by moonlight, Dec 9, 2006.

1. moonlight

moonlight Member

Allow me to vent...

What the hell are all the TV people doing in the press box?

I have an NFL beat. At just about every game, there are the TV "talent" from each city (the 6 p.m. news anchors, etc.) there and all they do is take up space. Granted, some do on-camera stuff after the game. Others have told me they're just there "doing research."

Am I crazy or should these people be told to get out? I've been to some games where space is so cramped that I've had my lap top literally on my lap because of these people.

OK, my ranting is over. But my credentials always have something like "credentials are issued to working media only" on them. So why doesn't that apply to TV people?

2. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I've also wondered the same thing about sports talk radio people in the press box.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I sat next to a newspaper's cartoonist one hockey playoff.

4. and cheer

5. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

With the NFL team that I'm dealing with right now, they've giving out more than one seat to Web sites whose fanboys, er, "reporters" are wearing home team gear. Yet they couldn't accomodate several of the state's legitimate dailies for a couple of games earlier this year.

Ten years ago, the NFL used to be great to deal with. Now, it seems as if reporters from publications who don't have business ties with the league and/or its franchises are just about personna non grata. It's sick.

6. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

If the guy's doing his job, why shouldn't a sports talk person be in the box? You write a story about the game, he discusses the game at length on the radio. Unless you want to take the stance that you can do your job just as well from watching it on TV, why should he have to do his that way? There are things you can only pick up from being there. Now, if the guy's unprofessional (cheering, wearing a jersey, etc) that's one thing, but a competent host has every bit as much reason to be there as you do.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You have to be talking about Karl Swanson's Deadskins. But sadly, I don't think it's just limited to them now, is it?

Draft saved Draft deleted