1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV or print journalism?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hoopsfan23, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Hoopsfan23

Hoopsfan23 New Member

I have always had an affinity for print journalism but a friend of mine is trying to pull me over to the television side. I would primarily work off-camera, write, research etc. Should I stick with print or try something new? At 25, I wouldn't mind trying something different. But if I made the career move, I don't know how easy it would be to get back into print journalism. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I know some print people diss broadcast journalists. However, the way I see it: They're both different skills. One forces you to be able to condence a shitload of information in a way that can be digested in brief sound bites and get it right. The other forces you to be able to sift through a shitload of information and find it in different places, write it so that it can be digested readably and get it right.

Then there's always law school...

I wouldn't make the move, but that's just me.

4. spud

spud Member

I am one of these people.

5. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Neither. Print is not a growth market anymore, and TV is just full of bullshit.

Do something better with your life. Find a happier environment than this.

Find something happy and make money. I would suggest construction management at this point.

Build something strong, watch it grow. Then build something else, watch that grow.

Repeat as necessary. Good values, and you're home in time for dinner most nights.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sure, Dan. He should do what you say, not what he might want to do.

Great that you're not in the business and you're happy. Doesn't mean everybody else will be.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

If you make the jump, just be prepared to relearn a lot of the skills you've developed for print. Good newspaper writing doesn't work for TV. It's a totally different animal.

Having said that, if you're good at it there are plenty of off-camera jobs. It's a bitch to find good producers -- broadcast majors all want to be on camera. Like print, the pay is shit at the bottom but pretty decent if you get to a bigger market.

And I wouldn't necessarily argue with Dan Rydell on this one.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Honestly, I'd take a crack at it. Find out what it's like. See if you can find some spots to freelance at so you can keep your writing sharp, but you never know if a job is going to be something you want to do unless you try it.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Follow your heart, guy. If your passion is fully in print, stay there. But grabbing a little taste of the other side isn't necessarily a bad idea. You might even like it. Who knows?

Is there any way you can do some volunteer work at the station before making the switch? If so, I'd suggest getting your feet wet first, so you know exactly what to expect -- at least for the most part. I did a lot of television work in college, and it was some of the thrilling times I've had in the communication field. Ultimately, I chose print journalism because I had a stronger passion for it. But I had a taste for both. Maybe that's what you need.

You're only 25. Don't worry about if you can get back into the business. If you've got talent, you'll have a place to work.

10. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

The way this business is headed, it's probably to your benefit to have as much experience with an many different media as possible.

11. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I work in TV. I like it much more than I did print. I am also off camera and it's a fantastic situation.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Method is right. With multimedia and everyone emphasizing online stuff, which includes videos and other types of streaming content, having a wide variety of talents only helps you. Heck, at this point Associated Press radio wants a lot of their newer, younger hires to have some sort of experience in the type of TV stuff you're looking at. Not as talking heads, but as someone able to generate video content to go with their stories for websites. You can see a lot of it on yahoo.

Draft saved Draft deleted