1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV networks paying for news interviews

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by murphyc, Jan 4, 2010.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I'm sure this can be filed under "And in other news, man just landed on the moon," but I found this story interesting. I did a quick search and didn't see this topic discussed recently, but if I missed something go ahead and call me on it.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100103/ap_en_tv/us_tv_paid_interviews

Here's what I wonder: Is this a common practice, or is it mainly reserved for "big" stories? And is this just on a national network level, or does it trickle down to either bigger TV markets or any TV markets in general?

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Agree it's not stunning news anymore, unfortunately, but I was somewhat amazed that more fuss wasn't made about the fact that NBC paid for the private plane used by David Goldman and his son as they departed Brazil. Maybe I missed some debate about it--highly possible--but it seems this was just treated as run-of-the-mill procedure.

Taking this to an absurd extension....what next, networks paying for NFL or MLB charters? Get some cameras and anchors on the flight, etc....

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't consider stuff like this "news" in the first place. Human interest/tabloid stories should be filed under "let the buyer beware."

Now when you have publishing houses giving multi-million dollar book deals to people like the Clintons, Cheneys, Palins and various other former government officials who will take the fifth or simply "not be able to recall" when questioned by a prosecutor but then can't shut up once the statute of limitations or grand jury expires and the check has cleared, and surprise, surprise they seem to give the news interview to a network that is affiliated with the publisher - I've got problems, all the way around.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Those morning "news" shows love to pay for interviews to shit like the Goldman case, or before that, the Duggards down in Arkansas every time they have another new baby.

Draft saved Draft deleted