1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV Landers: Best "All in the Family" episode

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Jun 13, 2007.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

I have seen every episode at least a dozen times and I have never, ever, seen that episode. I've heard about it, but I don't think they replay it.

2. printdust

printdust New Member

Makes you wonder why TV Land continues to get good ratings on it even now, yet the PC crowds today in Hollywood and the networks would look the other way.

3. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

i love the early episodes with Lionel and how he played along with Archie's ignorance.

Archie didn't know Lionel had a cousin who was a cop: "Yeah, well he's the white sheep of the family."

Or when Archie said the coloreds (his word, not mine) have to act better, work better to get ahead: "Yeah, that's right. We is like Avis."

I too agree with the Sammy Davis Jr. episode, Cousin Oscar dying, and when he gets thrown in jail with the other hippies trying to find Mike.

4. John Medeiros

John Medeiros Member

Forgive me, Lord. The Jeffersons were right.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

How about the one where Archie and Meathead are arguing over how to dress. Mike put on a sock and a shoe, sock and a shoe. Archie started ripping him, telling him it was the wrong thing to do and Mike says "Yeah, but if there's a fire and its raining outside, I can hop around on one foot and stay dry."

The one where Archie goes to jail trying to find Mike--doesn't he get let out early because the sergeant is Polish---only to have Archie say something about his Pollack son-in-law and the Seargeant quickly loses Archie's paperwork.

or when Archie and Gloria are fighting over gun control...She says --thousand people are killed by guns every year. Archie's reply "would it make you feel any better little girl if they were thrown out of windows?" Classic.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The episode where he writes the letter to the president was pretty funny. Getting all dressed up before writing "momentous" words.

7. casty33

casty33 Active Member

printdust, if I'm not mistaken, I read somewhere that they stopped showing the show where Edith died because it was too emotional. I know I saw it once and had to turn away or I'd have been bawling when Archie sat on the bed moaning about how it should have been him going first.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The ones that stick out for me (and it's been decades):

When Archie did a guest opinion on a local newscast, and his idea for stopping airplane hijackings was to hand out guns to everyone as they get on the plane.

When Archie was dressing up (did he try to have an affair?) and his good shirt was a Joe Namath Collection shirt (you had to be around in the '70's to appreciate).

9. I liked the one where the guy who lost his son in Vietnam and the draft evader living in Canada accidentally got invited to the same dinner.
    But, for pure laughs, Archie drunk in the basement talking to god kills me.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Forgot about that one. Excellent episode.

11. casty33

casty33 Active Member

How about Gloria's miscarriage? The scene where Archie is sitting on the bed talking to her shows us a different side of the character, and certainly great acting by Carroll O'Connor.

12. boots

boots New Member

How about the one where Lionel tells Archie off? He tell's him that he put up with this crap but didn't like it.
    And there's also one about the Klan when Archie says he's part black (this came after he had a blood transfusion from a black guy).

Draft saved Draft deleted