1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV in the newsroom

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wrford, Jul 13, 2007.

1. No, a reporter, but young and no longer in sports.

When I was in sports, nothing I covered was so prestigious as to have a press box.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so you covered youth swimming?

3. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Closest answer resembling my shop. Lots of TVs everywhere; quite a few folks have TVs at their desks.

Another argument to add a TV, wrford, is: As much as print people rag on TV people, face it - sometimes TV folks get breaking news first. And if you're watching the sportscast at 11:25 p.m., and the talk-too-fast-sportscaster-who-is-more-ESPN-booyah-instead-of-investigative-journalism just MIGHT have a scoop that you don't have in your paper. So, if you hear it at 11:25 p.m., then maybe you can work the phones or scour the wire to get that story in your section.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

At the first paper I worked for, I think the sports desk had four TVs, maybe three. Of course, I worked on the half where there were zero TVs. :(

My current paper has six TVs - one in sports. We have it tuned to sports almost always, but on weekends or late nights, we turn it to Letterman or a movie or something.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

We have a bank of four TVs in news, near the metro editor's desk.

There is one TV that sports and features share.

The ME, EE, Sports Editor and me (features ed.) all have one in our office.

There also is one hanging in the photography department, and one in graphics.

So, in total, 11.

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

At one paper, news had a TV, the news desk had a TV and sports had a TV. The sports TV, oddly, was rarely on sports past 10 p.m. because we deskies were sick of it by the end of the night. Now the TV always is on sports. Tried to turn it to a movie or something and got verbally slapped for it. Ugh.

7. captzulu

captzulu Member

The paper I was at had a TV hanging in news and a TV in sports. I sat right next to the sports TV, and it was always on with the volume turned kind of low, and it just disappeared into the drone of the central A/C most of the time, except when Demolition Man came on late at night :)

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, that's always been the rule here. Nothing but sports on the sports TV. If there's nothing good enough to watch in sports, leave it off.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

So Moddy, we ever gonna hear your story?

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I was wondering the same thing.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

We are on the right channel. And July is a sweeps month ...

Draft saved Draft deleted