1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV folks expect pay for OT, sue

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by I'll never tell, Feb 11, 2014.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

My first job at a daily we had the pen and paper timecards too. I was told there is no overtime and no comp time. I kept documenting all the hours I worked anyway. When I left, they owed me more than $2,000 in unpaid overtime. I never pushed for it, thinking that to do so would hurt my chances of getting other jobs. A few years later, someone reported that paper to the state department of labor and they got hammered with back overtime.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's another thing. Don't let them tell you to only put 40 hours on the sheet. Put what you worked, and if they only pay you 40, then at least you have a paper trail. Plus, the paper can't try to claim you were falsifying records when you put 40 and you worked 50.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Labor law allows for a "creative professional" to be salaried and it can apply to reporters.

http://www.flsa.com/coverage.html

At past shops, it meant that if you self assign your work, you'd be considered salaried but if you worked off assignments, you'd be considered hourly.

Easy example is a primary beat writer who was expected to write regularly but could pick and choose what they wanted and when they did it, then delegate the rest to secondary writers or to the assigning editor.

Draft saved Draft deleted