1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV dramatic series suggestions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I've watched The Sopranos, The Wire and The West Wing in their entirety, and will finish Deadwood by the end of this month. Any suggestions on what should be the next TV drama I should pick up on?

I'm leaning toward Mad Men, but open to your ideas. What show and why?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Against my objections, I was introduced to the old Mission: Impossible series, and am so glad I was. It is marvelous television. If I may, start with season 2 (that's when Peter Graves became the main guy; he didn't come onto the show till late in the first season) and go through season 5. I heard season 6 got kind of cheesy.

But seasons 2-5 are phenomenal.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

You definitely can't go wrong with Mad Men -- is there more than the first season on DVD yet?

Also, Breaking Bad is a terrific show hardly anybody watches. Cranston won the Emmy last year and could easily have won it this year.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The Shield

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I've never seen Mad Men. I need to change that. But 24 is awesome television, especially in its first couple of years. I think the seventh season was unbelievable, too.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Yes. Good one.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Rescue Me - it's dark at times, extremely funny at times. Damages is good, I like The Closer as well and you can't go wrong with The Shield.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

After The Wire, my favourite series--even more than The Sopranos.

I'd also recommend Oz if you haven't seen that either.

Both can be emotionally exhausting.

The first two seasons of Mad Men are out.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Sons of Anarchy

10. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

JR is right, The Shield is fabulous. From beginning to end one of the best series ever.

I am burning through The West Wing now.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Season 1 of 'Herman's Head' is out.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

These are the 3 I was going to recommend also. All are fantastic. JR is right, though. Both Oz and The Shield are emotionally exhausting. I got the Shield discs from Netflix this summer and while I loved it and couldn't get enough of it, it really did wring me out, emotionally, especially season 5.

Draft saved Draft deleted