1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV buying help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by accguy, Jul 2, 2007.

1. accguy

accguy Member

Everybody,

I'm fairly techno-illiterate, but am thinking about making the move to HDTV. Not surprisingly, I'm tremendously confused.

What does a guy need in terms of resolution?
    What's the difference between plasma and LCD?
    How big does one really need to go?
    Any brands really suck?

Any help would be fantastic.

Thanks

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Sigmund Freud. Mr. Sigmund Freud to this thread please.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's not the size, it's the resolution.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You want an LCD. Plasmas cost too much to run, and many brands are going to stop making them because LCD technology has gotten so much better.

You need to figure out how far from the TV your chair will be. You do not want a 52'' TV in a 10x10 room.

Resolution is key. 1086 is very expensive. I have had a 780 resolution for a over a year now, and I think it looks great. Remember, even if it is not the best picture in the store, it will be the best TV in your house.

Olevia makes a nice TV, but I would buy a Consumer Reports magazine. Read what they have to say.

Be prepared to sign up to a high-def tv package from your cable provider. You monthly bill might double, but you should not buy this type of tv unless you are willing to go with the high def package. Think of buying a Vette, but never taking it out of second gear.

High Def TV and DVRs (Tivos) have changed the way I watch TV so much... What a wonderful time we live in.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I have a great TV.

I just need a $%#@%$# DirecTV receiver that won't reset itself while tuned into HD channels.

This has been a problem with their H20 receivers for more than a year. They are "aware of the problem" but seemingly have no clue as to how to fix it.

I know somebody who puts a computer cooling pad under his receiver (the resets are apparently caused by overheating) and swears it works. Maybe I'll try that next.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You are probably hooked up with an HDMI cable. HDMI cables do not work with some TV brands and DirectTv boxes.

Use an older component cable and hook it up with that. The picture might not be as good, but it will be 98 percent close.

I actually just got DirectTV when I moved and went away from Comcast. I think this may have been a mistake. I now cannot get my ABC, CBS, NBC, etc.. in high def, and it sucks. I know this cannot last forever, but I need it to be on for the fall tv season.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I am running HDMI from the receiver.

Why the resets only occur on HD channels is what I can't figure out. And this is the most up to date receiver DirecTV has, so you would think HDMI wouldn't be an issue.

Come to think of it, I haven't given the HDMI cable connectors a good cleaning in a long while. Might as well try that.

But I'll give component cables a try, too. I use them for the DVD player and it looks mighty fine.

8. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

As much as I hate cable, I'm glad that I have HD via cable. I'm unable to receive DirecTV where I'm currently at, but will be moving soon. I'm scared.

As for the TV's, I'm not up much on the technical aspects. I have a 55" Samsung DLP, which is fantastic. I also have a 37" Vizio LCD, which mainly used for the Xbox 360 & the occasional HD DVD. Both TVs do their jobs with flying colors, pun intended.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted