1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV anchor attacked. UPDATE: Suspect in custody. NEW UPDATE: Suspect found guilty

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Oct 20, 2008.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Re: TV anchor attacked, not expected to live

I don't remember an Ann Coulter scene in W, but maybe I'm missing some sarcasm, or maybe I missed the relevant scene.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The only way I could see this being a robbery gone bad would be if the guy was hopped up on drugs. Which I guess I wouldn't rule out.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Now that I think about it perhaps she was supposed to be one of those pundits on the Spinball made-up TV show.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Jodi Huisentruit was the Iowa anchor, who was kidnapped out of her apartment parking lot and has never been found. Every so often a story will pop up with a new lead, but nothing ever comes of it.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I just checked IMDB. I didn't see her listed under cast and crew for the movie, but there is a reference to her portraying a "female commentator" if you go to her page and pull up the more detailed resume.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3069712/resume

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

A few things to note:
    • The reference to the "Squad" is a local thing. That's what the reporters there call themselves. It was coined by a competitor, and the reporters took some pride in it. They even had tee shirts printed up.
    • That part of Little Rock sees violent crime about once a century.
    • It was probably not random.
    • Little Rock police do not have any records of any stalking incidents, nor had she told friends that she had been threatened.
    • She was on facebook last night to thank people for noticing her small role in W.
    • The latest word is that she was raped, then beaten, and then her throat was cut.

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

God.

Best to her.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sorry, Demo.

Not everything is fit to print. I know some may agree with me, and some may disagree, but on the thread where people are saying their regards, some details are not needed.

9. Re: TV anchor attacked, not expected to live

I always disagree on the "Don't mention rape!" line of thinking.

I think it helps keep alive the stigma i.e. blame the victim mentality.

I understand that's not what you're doing or trying to do - you are looking out for her privacy. But sometimes that's the effect - that it's something that someone should be ashamed of.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't think there was much surprise in that last detail, unfortunately. Just a very bad, very sad story.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Awful, awful story. Now for a small threadjack: I read about Huisentruit on this thread (hadn't heard of her before) and wikipedia'd her. It linked to this website, which for some reason really creeped me out.

http://www.geocities.com/jodihuisentruit/

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

What he said, and I say that as someone who's been raped, 93.

And I'll also agree with what playthrough said.

Draft saved Draft deleted