1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV Alert: -30- on TCM

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stitch, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

-30-, a 1959 film about a paper meeting deadline, is on Turner Classic Movies.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I miss having that channel.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Watched 2 minutes of Jack Webb and William Conrad talking to a female reporter and the two of them broke about 6 modern management HR rules. I loved it, of course.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"We need 300 words on how to bake a pie, toots."

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I can't believe newspapers didn't embrace bloggers in 1959. Way to let down the reader! No wonder newspapers are in trouble.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Dude, do you mind not posting spoilers? Geeez...

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Still love how the old Billy Goat Tavern in Chicago had 8x10s of some of the city's most famous newsmen and newswomen on the walls. And at the bottom of each one that died, there was a little brass plaque: "-30-"

8. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Caught the last 20 minutes on the treadmill at the gym. I don't have TCM on my cable lineup, but I suppose it's on Netflix.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Happened upon this movie last night (didn't notice this thread until now).

My first thought, "wow, what a cool cast". My second thought: "I can't believe I've never heard of this newspaper movie before."

And then I watched about 20 minutes and soon enough, I knew why.

Damn, it was terrible!

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Jack Webb stuff usually is. Remember reading Barry Williams' book and he said when he guest starred on Dragnet Jack Webb's directing went against everything he had been taught to that point.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The score during the opening credits sounded like the beginning of a Tom and Jerry cartoon of the era. Anyone like the use of black and white? I wonder if it was an artistic choice or a budget decision.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I love this movie. The early parts seem a bit too campy, maybe. But the last 45 minutes really stands up.

Draft saved Draft deleted