1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tuscaloosa News: Cecil Hurt had UA booster co-sign loan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Nov 29, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Calling him a pariah is kind of strong. That being said, he made a major mistake, irrespective of what certain less credible posters here seem to be saying.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

From what I've heard, it was upper management at Tuscaloosa that wanted to keep Hurt. I've heard it was not a popular decision among his peers...

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum.

The TNews management went to great lengths to keep him in the fall when one of the Web sites took a run at him. About six figures worth of lengths, I suspect.

Enough that a $4K medical bill shouldn't present a problem now.

I suspect that generates a certain amount of resentment in his shop, right there.

And again, I have worked in a NYTRG shop and have no doubt I would have been fired on the spot for doing the same thing, based on my reading of the 2007 ethics policy. But, one could argue I suppose, that it's because I hadn't made myself sufficiently indispensible.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

except for two things:

1. i think cecil has the gig he wants and aspires to have

2. not like cecil is the most sociable of fellas to begin with

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I was mainly thinking along the lines of how every time he walks in a press box now people are going to be thinking, and probably talking, about what's transpired. At least for a while.

I don't know Cecil well enough to say whether or not he'd give a shit.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Is there more to the story than a hometown journalist being beholden to a big booster of the hometown university/local cash cow during a period of said cash cow's malfeasance? If so, this would be the time for full disclosure.

Draft saved Draft deleted