1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tuscaloosa News: Cecil Hurt had UA booster co-sign loan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Nov 29, 2007.

1. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

The Tuscaloosa SE reads this board and always scolds me when I say this, but this paper is one of the biggest homer rags in the SEC and that's saying a lot.

That's not to say there are not great people on their staff. I've been incredibly impressed with Chris Walsh, but Cecil is an embarrassment to the profession. I know he's beloved, but that's the truth.

I wonder if it's a coincidence that the two biggest homer papers in this area (Gainesville and Tuscaloosa) are both owned by NYT. I read both papers a lot and am usually left embarrassed for our profession.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I think it's important to draw a sharp distinction between the NYT proper and the poor-relation-redhaired-stepchild NYT Regional Newspapers Group when talking about pay and bennies.

Both do share a common ethics policy, though, I would say this arrangement would run afoul of the current policy ... but I have no idea about the language of the ethics policy in 2000.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

SEC Guy,
    I'm sure I'll get jumped for putting this in no uncertain terms but you are full of shit. If you have been "incredibly impressed with Chris Walsh" and think "Cecil is an embarrassment to the profession" then frankly there's no way you can tell your ass from a hole in the ground.

I think I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume you are just doing a little back-slapping promotion for a friend or something. That's the most generous interpretation.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

How does Chris Walsh feel about women's basketball?

5. Point of Order

He's against it.

6. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Cecil is the writer of record. There's no question about that. Doesn't make him any less of a homer.

7. Point of Order

8. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Please tell me you're not actually implying that Cecil isn't a homer.

9. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

I guarantee you that Cecil isn't the only writer in this conference who is on the take.

He may be the only one where he is stupid enough to have documented proof, but there's no way he's the only one on the take.

10. Point of Order

Do tell.

11. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

Whenever SEC Guy gets through with his drugs, he needs to share. That's some wild stuff he's smoking.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

This thread furthers my belief that 90 percent of SEC writers are batshit crazy in some form.

Draft saved Draft deleted