1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tuscaloosa News: Cecil Hurt had UA booster co-sign loan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Thread-jack alert!

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Oregon? Who knew?

3. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm an enigma, wrapped in a riddle, and some bacon.

4. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

If he's written about this guy or this issue - and I can't imagine that he hasn't - without disclosing the loan, that's a huge, huge bad.

One he wouldn't survive at any paper I've worked at.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

damn southerners in ohio

douche

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself, my part of the South doesn't allow the Jews. So I don't know if Jews are cheap or not.
    The Southern stereotype gets a little tiresome though.
    As far as Cecil goes, without knowing the particulars, I won't judge. They could just as easily go to church together or have been lifelong friends or even some distant family member.
    Who knows?
    But, as usual, the navel gazing Poynter police are out in full force.

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

NYT benefits are pretty damn good. you also can tap into 401k for emergency cash, too, and pay yourself back.

8. I just always find it ironic that 'dem yankees have these homer stereotypes of southern writers while we look at the north as an assholic, fuck-it-let's-go-with-the-story, go-fuck-youself environment.
    Very large hole in th spectrum there.

9. No, actually the story makes clear that the relationship with this booster came after Hurt was already employed by the newspaper.

I don't know Mr. Hurt and am not familiar with the climate in Alabama. But based on the Big 10 beat I covered in the past, this will only feed the delusions of paranoid fans who are convinced that beat writers secretly support Team X while hating Team Y, or vice versa. This is VERY bad for our business, and frankly I'm surprised he was allowed to keep his job.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Since his paper covers only Alabama on a daily basis and not any of its archrivals, I don't think it really matters in this instance. In some sick way, it probably gives him more cred with hardcore Alabama fans.

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

No, I'm saying CNHI's money is deepening the pockets of Alabama boosters, who in turn....

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He should be fired immediately...

Draft saved Draft deleted