1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Turns out there's little trickle down when cities shell out to court "creatives"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 20, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's pretty much a consensus opinion that building new stadiums doesn't do much for overall economic growth in a city.

Well, spending to attract "creatives" is sort of the liberal equivalent.

Does it work any better?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The consultant's name is Richard Florida? I guess because Robert California was taken?

That sounds like a dumber idea than sports arenas.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

To thrive, any city needs a mixed economy and plenty of demographic churn. It needs lots of different attractors. A healthy 'creative class' alone won't do it.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

He's actually Canadian.

The argument for attracting a "creative class" was that it would gentrify rundown neighborhoods and attract jobs that would appeal to them. But when, say, Jennifer Granholm was handing out "cool cities" creative-like status to place like Alpena, that pretty much signaled the end of it.

No doubt, you can have places like Austin that grow and thrive because they attract a higher-end "creative" class. But it's hard to create out of whole cloth.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

How much is actually being spent on these types of programs relative to a football field or a baseball stadium? Are we talking about a marketing program?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I saw Richard Florida consult once. In Minnesota.

Actually, my memory fades from me. It was Richard Florida's brother, Richard Utah, and he consulted in Arizona.

And I agree with with you on the idea. Stop giving public money away as incentives unless they're willing to guarantee X amount of jobs at Y amount of pay.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Don't you have anything better to do than cut and paste talking points all day long?

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I was skimming, but I didn't see any $ figures in that story.

Does anyone really believe these campaigns to lure 'creatives' to these various cities total in aggregate the cost of even one stadium?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Put the unsuccessful creative types to work as teachers. Everybody wins!

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't think the money spent is comparable.

The common denominator is that the money spent seems to only benefit those it's spent on.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Because God knows we need people who can make ceramic bongs.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Florida's reaction to this story ...

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted