1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Turning the wrong corner in Winslow, Arizona

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Apr 27, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/norwegian-drivers-wrong-turn-into-ariz-towns-street-festival-leads-to-prison-for-assault/2012/04/27/gIQAB8sVlT_story.html

Norwegian man drove through the annual "Take It Easy" festival with his mom. Says he didn't know it was a one-way street or why so many people were around him. Witnesses say he was driving angry; he hit one woman but it doesn't sound like she was seriously injured. He was convicted of aggravated assault and six other charges, and he was sentenced to seven years in prison.

Seems like an overreach, but the story does say he was known in other states for having a temper (never convicted but he was once investigated for running over a bicycle).

Life in the Fast Lane indeed. Just glad he didn't have any Tequila Sunrise before the drive.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He can sit in jail until Hell Freezes Over as far as I'm concerned.

3. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

There's been a major publicity campaign about this one. I hadn't heard about it until we got a flood of emails to the newsroom starting early yesterday.

Not a whole lot of value in emailing news departments to express outrage a couple of hours before someone is sentenced.

5. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Give him a break. He's just the New Kid in Town. Don't make him sit in the Sad Cafe.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Since I'm not really familiar with the case at all, and maybe I missed it in the article - Was he licensed to drive in the states? How long has he been here anyway? They touched very briefly on the past incidents in other states, which implies that he's been here a couple years and what not.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but I can't tell you why.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

A real Desperado, this guy sounds like.

Why doesn't he come to his senses?

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The GPS said it was Seven Bridges Road.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I guess he thought the woman he hit was heading for the cheating side of town.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

If the girl driving the flatbed Ford hadn't slowed down, he wouldn't have hit it.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There's going to be a vigil at the prison One Of These Nights.

Draft saved Draft deleted