1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Turning The Page: A 20th Year Reunion Story

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Aug 14, 2011.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

So THAT'S where my 297th Facebook friend went!

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My 30th is this year and I really could care less because the sense I got from my 10th and 20th was that people wanted to relive the past rather than see where everyone went; and that's not what I'm into (HS blew compared to college IMHO.)

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Wait ... you have Facebook friends? :p

4. BUMP ...

Skipped my 20-year HS reunion this year, but got together with two of my buddies for drinks this weekend. WOW. I had NO idea so many of my old classmates were such fuckups and whack jobs.
    One guy pretty much a douchebag all the way around, recently got divorced. He dated the same girl all through high school and aside from being a dickhead to everyone about everything was seemingly nice to her. To my knowledge he never cheated on her. Not high school or college.
    She filed for divorce recently after learning he knocked up one of his office workers at his out-of-town office. She got the house, the kids and the just about everything else his material-loving possessed.
    I wondered why he dropped off FB recently. I figured it was because he had just lost reelection to town council. Guess not.

Another HS chum, whose a pathological liar, and served jail time for embezzlement and theft is also a wife beater. He attended the HS reunion and often posts positive, religious-driven FB messages and expresses his love for his wife and kids.

Another, was found last week passed out alongside the road in the his car, with his 8-year-old kid strapped in the seat beside him. He married a doctor, and got a six-figure job in the mines. He was also OCD and addicted to nasal spray and chapstick (I swear to God) ... Well she divorced his ass, and he developed a pill problem. Been stealing from his friends, parents and anyone else he runs into for about the last year.
    Been to rehab, kicked out of the parents house (where he moved after his divorce) and is in the process of losing his job ...

That's pretty much the aside from the normal divorce, affairs, criminals and miscreants I already knew I graduated with.

I had no idea.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

My high school had a decades reunion a few years ago where every graduating class since the school opened in the 50s was invited.

I didn't go, but a friend told me it was absolutely the worst thing she had ever been to. She was the youngest person there (the youngest class included was 2003 -- mine) and said she didn't know anyone outside of a few people she knew from the three classes that graduated before us.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

my 30-year reunion will be this spring and judging from the facebook page that has been set up, i won't be terribly sad to miss this one just as i missed the 20th. it's amazing that 30 years have passed and so many classmates who were assholes in school are still assholes. same old cliques. the few people i would be interested in seeing, i can "talk to" on facebook - may even organize a small anti-reunion get-together.

Draft saved Draft deleted