1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Turning down a job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bevo, May 1, 2014.

1. bevo

bevo Member

Recently turned down a job at a larger newspaper ... one that people are actually familiar with. The pay was only slightly higher, but the job situation was almost exactly the same as what I have now, which is what I'm trying to get away from. Staffing was pathetic and the hours were even worse (split days off).

No relocation expenses offered, even though this is a major media company and a major metro paper. (That has had it's share of problems).

The only thing that was better was the health benefits. That's it. Also having the paper's name on my resume may have helped me land a better gig in the future, but no promises there.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If you're looking for more than that, you're looking in the wrong industry.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I can understand your disappointment and perhaps, even, your surprise. But those are two pretty big factors you left on the table.

If you're happy and content in your job now, and think you will be for the foreseeable future, that's certainly fine and there's nothing wrong with staying put. In fact, there may never be anything wrong with it. But...

If you're young and healthy, you won't appreciate it now. Good health benefits, however, are a major perk, especially if/when you ever actually need them, and you should know that they're getting harder and more expensive to get from employers all the time.

And if you do want to stay in and maybe advance in this business, it behooves you to move onward and upward and get with major organizations as quickly as possible.

4. bevo

bevo Member

The thing is I'm not happy in my job and have been looking for another gig for awhile now, both in and outside of newspapers. The thing that was so surprising is the major metro, with a circulation 3 times my current place, had about the same amount of staffing and was pretty much the same job, but with a worse schedule.

The health benefits weren't that much better, just cheaper, and I'm about to go on my wife's plan here soon, which is better by far than either newspaper job.

I've moved cross country twice in the "good old days" and relocation wasn't a problem, even at the 18,000 circ. I worked at 10 years ago. Now they won't pay to move me 150 miles.

Think I'm going to redouble my efforts to either go digital or get out of newspapers. The problem is, I've gotten the most interest from the newspapers I've applied to. But it doesn't seem like there's much of a future from what I've seen.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No relocation expenses, to me, is a big red flag. If a company wants you and values you, they should foot the bill. Period. We moved across the country several months ago for my wife's job and the relocation package was incredible. If I had had any doubts about the company (I didn't), that would have gone a long way to alleviating them.

People who don't get relocation will try to rationalize it any number of ways -- it's a really good job, I'm not that far away, I only needed a small U-Haul -- but the bottom line is it's bullcrap.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Bevo,

I understand. There are many factors and only you can decide what moves are best for the overall picture of your life. I've taken jobs that, in hindsight, I wish I had turned down.

Working at a large metro can have some nice perks, but it's not the end all of human existence. It's not even a good barometer of one's ability. I've known very smart people working at small papers and stations and some at larger places who could barely tie their own shoes. Sometimes we let the perceived prestige of a certain company cloud out the realities of a certain job.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Was her job in newspapers or some other industry? I have heard all sorts of stories about companies doing things for employees in other industries that make my head spin. Newspapers (and broadcasting) just don't seem to value their employees, which is one reason I got out.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I've moved jobs enough to know that I'm not moving jobs again unless it is the perfect opportunity. I've turned four places down this year. Won't get stuck in a shitty situation again.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not newspapers. Communications for a sports league.

10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I'm in corporate communications now. The VP of Corp Comms, my boss, had to move across the country to take this job a month ago. His kids are still in school in their hometown, with his wife. My company is paying for him to live in an apartment near the office, in the downtown of a big city, so likely not cheap, until his family can join him and buy a house. He also gets comped flights back to his family twice a month. And that's just the stuff I know of. How's that for a relocation package?

Draft saved Draft deleted