1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Turning a profit in one painful step

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by writestuff1, Jul 15, 2009.

1. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

According to an AP story, Gannett posted second-quarter earnings of $70.5 million and shares jumped 15 percent on the news. That compares to a loss of $2.29 billion a year ago. See, you too can make money in one easy step - just get rid of a huge chuck of your biggest asset - journalists. It reminds me of the time my former publisher told us in a meeting: "We had a pretty good quarter. It would have been a great quarter if not for payroll."

2. partain

partain Member

Is there more to this than payroll reductions? Did they sell something that I don't remember. That's a pretty big turnaround considering advertising hasn't improved.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Furloughs. Eliminating home delivery. Closing buildings and condensing them. Furloughs again. Consolidating copy desks. Stuff like that.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Fixed.

5. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

We got rid of coffee.

6. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Just think how much they would have made by selling fruit for a quarter.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Keep in mind also that the best accountants can basically make the numbers say whatever you want them to say.

Hell, what am I saying? Even a modestly competent accountant can do that.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Is anyone surprised? Publications are still making money ... they're just ticked off that it's no longer 25-30 percent, and talented journalists are paying for the fact that people's thinking can't adjust.

(Back to my corner now ... )

9. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I thought you meant selling kidneys on the black market.

Carry on...

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Here's the kicker....next quarter, they'll see a decline in their profit margins. Why? Because they (hopefully) couldn't find a couple thousand more folks to fire.

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

They had an audiocast yesterday. Most of it was corporate spin and a mistaken belief that I care about Craig Dubow's back problems.

Draft saved Draft deleted