1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Turner/Yahoo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lono, Jul 10, 2008.

1. lono

lono Active Member

This is large. Discuss.

NEW YORK and SUNNYVALE, Calif. - July 10, 2008 - Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. and Yahoo! Inc. (Nasdaq: YHOO) have entered a multi-year strategic alliance that will allow the two companies to collaborate on advertising and sports-related content. Turner will exclusively represent online advertising sales for the NBA, golf and NASCAR pages of Yahoo! Sports. Additionally, Yahoo! Sports will gain access to basketball, golf and NASCAR content from NBA.com, PGATOUR.com, PGA.com and NASCAR.com, league sites managed by Turner.

The deal was announced today by David Levy, president of Turner Broadcasting Sales, Inc. and Turner Sports and Todd Teresi, senior vice president of Yahoo!’s Publisher Channel. The deal creates an alliance between one of the leading entities in the sports media industry and the #1 online sports destination, representing the new model for media outlets looking to increase and further engage their audiences.

All display, sponsorship and video advertising opportunities within the NBA, golf and NASCAR pages on Yahoo! Sports will be available exclusively through the Turner Network, which combines the digital resources of 19 Turner Sports, News and Entertainment properties. The agreement also provides Turner with access to advanced targeting technologies that will allow Turner to exclusively sell advertisements based on a consumer’s
    affinity for NASCAR, golf and NBA content, thus creating new advertising opportunities for clients. The agreement underscores Yahoo’s ongoing commitment to differentiating verticals online.

Through this relationship, Turner will provide NASCAR, PGA TOUR, PGA and NBA properties to Yahoo! Sports with certain live and on-demand video, leaderboards and editorial content featuring some of the biggest names in
    sports. The content will enrich Yahoo! Sports’ current racing, golf and professional basketball coverage, which includes original reporting from award-winning journalists such as NBA writer Adrian Wojnarowski, auto racing
    writer Bob Margolis, and NASCAR analyst Ricky Craven. League sites NASCAR.com, PGATOUR.com, PGA.com, and NBA.com will also reap the benefits of successfully partnering with Turner through this Yahoo!
    agreement with increased exposure to a new audience of sports fans. The league sites will receive fixed placements on the respective NASCAR, golf, and NBA pages of Yahoo! Sports to promote certain league initiatives, further growing their brand exposure.

Opening the marketplace for Turner to sell advertising on Yahoo! Sports is part of a new publisher strategy that Yahoo! began implementing in October, 2007. The company’s goal is to work with publishers that are differentiated in their markets online to build an interdependent reseller network. Through this reseller network, advertisers can reach the audiences they want to communicate with at Yahoo!’s unmatched scale, plus presenting their audiences with relevant messages at the right time.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

So Yahoo! Sports is "the #1 online sports destination"?

I would have thought it was the WWL's WWW site.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I could have sworn I read somewhere that it's yahoo, because of e-mail and fantasy sports.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Learn something new every day. And Yahoo! had done it without the incessant "look at us" crawls.

5. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

What does pga.com and pgatour.com add in terms of objective and analytical JOURNALISTIC golf content to Yahoo?

Yahoo's current golf content, while not extensive, actually has some pretty good stuff with guys like Michael Arkush, Steve Eubanks and a couple of regular bloggers who are good.

Won't pga.com and pgatour.com kind of water that down?

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You're kidding right? Do you really think people go to Yahoo! Golf and say to themselves, I only want to read/listen what objective journalists have to say about PGA golf because hearing from Tour officials and the golfers themselves is too biased?

7. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

I think cranberry is right, people go to Yahoo for lots of other reasons and with this extra content/advertising in front of all those eyes, it only extends the brand for the PGA, NBA and NASCAR.

And I think the league sites generally do pretty well with the basic stuff you want to know. Whenever news breaks about baseball, like the trades the last few days, the first place I go is MLB.com because I'm not going to get the wire story from them that I'd undoubtedly get from a lot of other sites. People looking for opinion/analysis have go-to sites. I think this partnership hits on trying to make new fans.

8. Yahoo has been beating ESPN.com for most of the past year. You just don't hear about it because Yahoo doesn't have a string of TV networks at their disposal to beat you over head with self-promotion.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Thanks for stopping by, head Yahoo! Sports PR person.

10. lono

lono Active Member

Hey, at least every Yahoo! lede doesn't include the phrase, "Yahoo! has learned."

11. I don't think stating that Yahoo has been beating ESPN, which it has, necessarily makes one the head of Yahoo PR.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I wasn't referring to you. Some newbie posted and then nuked the post...something with lots of exclamation points about how Yahoo! writers don't have the ego of ESPN.com writers. Then he/she added more exclamation points.

That's what I get for not quoting the post. Sorry for the confusion.

Draft saved Draft deleted