1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Turner next for Chargers?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by subhead, Feb 19, 2007.

1. subhead

subhead Member

Jay Glazer reports it looks like San Diego has picked Norv Turner as its next coach.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6485122

I don't know what's worse, the headline of the story: "Turner could be the man in San Diego" or this paragraph: "Oddly, earlier in the day based off of different information, Rex Ryan appeared to be the leading candidate to get the job. What or if anything happened to change that remains to be seen."

Here's the whole story:
    The San Diego Chargers are leaning toward a new head coach and it's the man everyone thought was going to be head coach of Dallas.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Chargers are talking to Norv Turner as if they are looking to hire him as their head coach. Sources contend that Turner is leaning toward hiring Ted Cottrell, a long-time defensive NFL coach, to run the Chargers defense. Cottrell worked in the league office this past season but is one of the best minds in the league in running a 3-4 scheme.

Oddly, earlier in the day based off of different information, Rex Ryan appeared to be the leading candidate to get the job. What or if anything happened to change that remains to be seen.

Turner was long assumed to be the man the Jones boys hired to replace Bill Parcells as head coach, but the Cowboys sent Turner back to the Bay without a new job or a new title. That title and job may now come three weeks later in the best city in America to "have to" work in — sunny San Diego.

General Manager A.J. Smith had talks with Turner late this evening, talks that sounded as if Turner was the team's choice. In fact, they even talked contract figures.

Turner was the Chargers offensive coordinator during LaDainian Tomlinson's rookie year and now will be in charge of an offense that needs to find even more ways for Tomlinson to work his magic.

Turner was extremely close to landing the Cowboys gig that eventually went to Wade Phillips, the man Cottrell may replace in San Diego now. When contacted, Turner's current boss Mike Nolan said he had not "heard a thing" from Turner but was hoping to if in fact Turner was their choice.

Calls to Smith and Turner were not returned.

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Why hasn't anyone figured out Norv Turner is a great O-Coordinator and a terrible head coach? What did he prove in Washington and Oakland that makes him a head coaching candidate? I just don't get it. Sure he'd walk into a great situation in San Diego, but Marty had a good situation there and didn't get the job down to A.J. Smith's liking. What makes him think Turner will?

3. subhead

subhead Member

I know there's another forum on this now, but the AP just moved its alert on it 20 minutes ago. Took them long enough to get their own source to confirm.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'll give the AP this much ... they never rush to declare something unless they're absolutely sure. They won't ever say Russ Grimm will be the next coach of the Steelers or anything like that. They always err on the side of caution, which isn't a bad thing.

5. subhead

subhead Member

True, and I'd definitely consider anything AP more credible than Glazer. Still, when multiple Web sites have something like this, I hate not having an AP story at least citing FOX and saying no Chargers officials replied to get something about it in the paper that day.

Draft saved Draft deleted