1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Turner fired Erin Andrews?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Dec 27, 2006.

1. leo1

leo1 Active Member

going back a little longer, ask scott erickson

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Yea, you try dealing with the person you're interviewing trying to get into your pants and see how you like it. Course you probably would, given that you're obviously ignorant when it comes to women.

All women want is to do their jobs. Getting hit on makes it harder and after the first or second time it ceases to be flattering and becomes annoying.

You are an idiot, and you prove it with almost every post.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Just to add to what SC is saying, nobody equates "good looking" and "not competent" when it comes to men, but that double standard is regularly applied to women.

4. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Didn't like how the story was written, but liked the fact that Erin Andrews is a bit of a closet geek. I didn't even know Trapper Keepers were still in existence.

5. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

The hockey player in question was Ryan Johnson when he was with the Florida Panthers. Erin was working as part of the Lightning broadcast team at the time. Johnson had played for TB, but Andrews wasn't working for them at the time - I think it was through that connection that the two met, though.

When she left the Lightning broadcast crew to join TBS as the Braves in studio anchor, Erin was quoted in the Tampa Tribune saying she didn't know much about baseball but was reading lots of books to learn. That was a cringe-worthy moment, and she has acknowledged she wasn't good in that job with Turner. She has grown a great deal as a broadcaster since those days, and hopefully people will give her credit for that. She's a really good person, as well as being hard-working and yes, quite hot.

6. LBJ liked him some reporter stuff, I hear.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Allow me to add to the chorus. sportswriter, not a junky, your comments on this thread were idiotic and show a complete inability to understand things from any point of view but your own.

If the guy is hitting on the female reporter, he isn't respecting her as a professional. Now, that doesn't mean the guy isn't letting the reporter to her job in all cases. I know female reporters who knew they got an interview, or at least got better stuff, because the guy was checking her out. I'm sure in other case, it makes things very difficult and in all cases it makes things awkward for the reporter.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Late entry for dumbest post of 2006.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No doubt. Not everyone would allow a paper to shoot pictures that show her in that light. Usually, it's just some photos from the subject working games, so I liked that aspect of the package.

The story? Eh.

And I've got nothing to say to not a junky, because that post doesn't merit any comment.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

For what it's worth, there are LOTS of guys on broadcast radio and TV who astound me with incompetence. There are some really bad broadcasters out there.

That said, I know my retort doesn't exactly match up with your statement there.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

She is an extremely nice person. I hate sideline reporting interrupting the games I watch, but if anyone has to do it, I'm glad she's got that job. She is not thin, just fit. And she is quite lovely; to say her makeup does her any more good than any other woman's is unjust.

12. Wow, I got blasted on this thread.

I'm not arguing that women reporters aren't getting disrespected by having male athletes hit on them. I'm just saying having people flatter you over and over again is a pretty nice thing, on the job and away from it.

I'm so tired of women in all walks of life complaining to me about getting hit on too much, because that's something I'd enjoy very much. It's like someone complaining about having too much money and not enough ways to spend it if you're a working class citizen, living paycheck to paycheck, piled up in debt and just trying to get by.

Draft saved Draft deleted