1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Turner fired Erin Andrews?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Dec 27, 2006.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

[​IMG]

2. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

First off, I was defending the lede, which I thought was OK. The rest of the story was so-so.

As far as married athletes asking her out, I guess the "shocking" part is that she's a reporter. Athletes' messy divorces get covered all the time. Are athletes so dumb that they don't think about getting caught with a high profile TV personality?

BTW, I don't like skinny chicks. So, I wouldn't ask her out -- and I'm not married.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

A beer for the first person who can get a picture of EA interviewing the octegenarian coach at the CWS.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Holiday filler alert.

But it could have been much better...Andrews seems like one of the more aggressive sideline reporters, like when she's trying to chase down a coach at halftime who could give a crap less about talking to her. Ask how she puts up with that and what her game plan is for those live interviews.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree. Would work with any sideline reporter. Are coaches told by their league etc. to be nice to the TV reporters? Are certain ones evasive? If so, how do you make sure you pin them down before halftime, etc.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Ask Derek Lowe.

Or Chris Pronger.

7. Few thoughts: What's the point of pinning down a coach before halftime? They say the same boring predictable cliches every time that adds nothing to the telecast other than camera time on a hot sideline reporter (which I guess is the whole point). God knows, that's all I (and my male friends) look at during that part of the telecast.

Also, this is a bit of a threadjack, but I'm sick of women, including sideline reporters, complain or call it a "pet peeve" that they're being hit on. That's flattering, not bad. Would you rather that, or no one hit on you at all, no one gives you any attention, the opposite gender often going out of the way to ignore you, even if they actually like and are actractted to you. Because that's the reality I, and all other males, face.

I mean, as a pretty good looking guy (honestly), I bet I get far fewer instances of flattery (in other words, times hit on by the opposite gender) per time frame than your average ugly girl. Moral: Don't complain about it. Appreciate it!

8. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Outing alert: sportswriter, not a junky is ESPN's John Clayton.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Or like Bobby Knight said about rape, just lie back and enjoy it.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i've never seen her in person so maybe that's why i was surprised that she's 5-foot-10. or maybe it's because i'm an idiot. i don't know.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you did get hit on by a women's basketball coach you were interviewing, I bet you may find it awkward.

Funny that female sports writers deal with this all the time and it's extremely rare for male sports writers (hi steve rushin!)

12. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Why pin down coaches at halftime? Why do coaches try to ice kickers with time outs? Because at least once in the million times it's been tried, it worked. In the halftime interview thing, think Roy Williams or John L. Smith, the only two instances I can think of when something at least halfway interesting was said.

As far as Ms. Andrews, yeah, she is tall. Is she good looking? I think the makeup helps. A lot. (Sorry to all the females on here for this next comment) She does have a nice rack, which certainly doesn't hurt (if ya like that sort of thing).

Draft saved Draft deleted