1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Turn your computer off at night

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

$2.8 billion per year wasted in the U.S. by idling computers left on over night.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/130078

2. sostartled

sostartled Member

The government could learn a lesson from this. I leave my computer on all the time because it takes 45 minutes to boot up my 3-year-old-dell. IT has it bogged down with so much crap. And they do updates on Friday nights so it's on all weekend too.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I used to leave mine on all the time, but changed my position on it to see if the bill would drop. My next electric bill, more than two years ago, was between $10 and $15 cheaper just by turning it off when I was sleeping or out.

I now turn off every electrical device aside from my alarm clock and fridge. Both my cable boxes, which use a ton of energy, are off more than 15 hours a day, and my bill, for electric and gas, is about $26 a month.

4. Mike, do you really expect us to believe you don't leave Saved by the Bell on a continuous loop?

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I should do this with computers, and they say unplugging your TV at night would make a huge difference as well. But who would do that? You'd have to go through all the setup crap every time. If TV makers wanted to, they could make some kind of bypass for that, but I guess they have a vested interest in you keeping your TV on all the time so it will wear out and you'll need another.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

In my head, DC. It's always on in my head.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My microwave is only plugged in when I'm using it -- which isn't often at all. I've got a clock on my cell phone, so all it's doing it wasting energy and costing precious dollars if left plugged.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

See, that's fine. Setting up a microwave is a couple of buttons. But setting up a TV, at least mine, is a huge pain in the ass.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Put it to sleep or in hibernation. Same difference.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Do any of your papers do any type of energy conservation methods?

I'm serious about this? There is a piss pot of money to be saved especially if your newsroom closes at 1 am or so and reopens at 8 am.

11. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

I just learned on 60 Minutes that overnight is also an excellent time for hackers to invade your 'puter.

12. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I saw that, too. Shut down the browser at night.

Draft saved Draft deleted