1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Turn out the Red Light? Noooooooo

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by I love puppies!, Feb 8, 2008.

1. http://www.newsweek.com/id/109373/page/1

Turn Out the Red Light?
    Amsterdam plans to close down its most famous district, citing sleaze, criminal activity and human trafficking. Not everybody is happy about it.

...Arguing that too many brothels and sex bars are linked to criminality, the authorities plan to all but erase the Red Light District. If the plan goes through, the peep shows, sex shops and prostitute windows that line the small alleys and canals will have to go, giving way to galleries, boutiques and upscale restaurants and bars. Goodbye to the big neon signs advertising every possible form of sexual indulgence.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But they'll still have the "coffee" shops, right?

3. From the story:

The crackdown fits into a nationwide backlash against the excesses of 1960s "happy-clappy" liberalism, as a conservative Dutch member of parliament recently put it. Over the last few years the Netherlands has adopted a stricter policy on selling marijuana, and a ban on hallucinogenic mushrooms is slated to go into effect later this year.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Since pushing this entire thing underground is exactly the way to reduce crime.

Let's see how things are going in three years.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Legislating behavior's always been rich.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Those days are over.
    They don't have to sell their body to the night.

7. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Man, I had some great times in Amsterdam. Not those kind of great times — I was WAY too scared for that shit — but some other, umm, great times.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great story. Who don't you whisper them to Mike? I'm sure he'll be discreet.

9. You mean Starbucks? I don't know.

But they might have the "Idiocracy" movie Starbucks that serves handjobs instead of coffee.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

11. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

No more warm glow of electric sex?

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

RRRROOOOXXXXXXAAANNNNNEEEEE.....

Draft saved Draft deleted