1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Turn out the lights -- RIP Don Meredith

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Arguably one of the best color men in any sport. Recall once when the camera spotted a pretty young lady in the stand. She had her hand on her cheek. Then she put her pinkie up her nose, obviously looking for something green. Meredith said, "Almost perfect!"
    RIP.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

RIP, three letters I'm getting damn tired of posting lately. For the record, Meredith was a very good quarterback, probably the fifth best or so of his time in the '60s behind Starr, Unitas, Jurgensen and Tarkenton. Just below Hall of Fame status, in short. In his early years, when the Cowboys stunk, he got clobbered, which is why he didn't play too long.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

MNF was appointment television, not just for the game but for the announcers. Maybe the most famous announcing team of all time.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

The timing of Don's exit on the day of the biggest MNF of the 2010 season is up there with Bo Schembechler (the day before a 1-2 Ohio State-Michigan game) and Gilda Radner (the day of an SNL season finale, with Steve Martin hosting).
    In the inaugural MNF telecast, Dandy Don immortalized a Cleveland Browns receiver with a rather unfortunate name:
    "Fair Hooker? Aint' met one yet!"

5. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

“If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, wouldn't it be a Merry Christmas?”

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I loved it when he said he was Jeff and Hazel's baby boy.

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

To this day, I cannot hear Willie Nelson's "Turn out the lights, the party's over" without thinking of Don Meridith and the MNF broadcasts.

In my opinion, they have never put together such a great football broadcasting team like that first MNF team.

:'(

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

At the top of his game, Dandy Don walked off the field at 30. How many guys do that? Don't think he regretted it, even if his acting career never took off.
    Tribute and interview with the Giffer at halftime. I'm there.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Those suit jackets were the best.

10. MileHigh

Nice tribute.

11. MileHigh

Gifford very emotional at the end of the interview.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah that was sad. Quivering lips, glistening eyes. Five more seconds and he would have lost it.

Probably not the place for this, but the gap between Cosell and Tirico is not one any human can navigate.

Draft saved Draft deleted