1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Turn out the lights -- RIP Don Meredith

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Dec 6, 2010.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/120610dnspomeredithobit.8ac4895.html

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Damn.
    RIP, Danderoo.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Dandy Don, on the air for the first Monday Night Football game in Denver, in 1973: "We're in the Mile High City and I sure am."

4. Seventy two is too young.

What a character.

5. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Extremely interesting character. Read Pete Gent's "North Dallas Forty" for what I'm told is a pretty accurate, although occasionally exaggerated, picture of Meredith with the Cowboys. Loved watching him and Cosell mix it up on the original MNF. Heard he became pretty much a recluse in his latter years out in Santa Fe, even from his old teammates. RIP, Dandy Don.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

His passing is certainly timed where they can give him a proper acknowledgement on MNF tonight.

7. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Enjoyed watching him on MNF while I was growing up. It was the show you had to watch to get highlights from the Sunday games (we used to do anything to stay up until halftime to catch those highlights).

Now. . . highlights are everywhere.

RIP Don.

8. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

When he lost to the pack in 67 the tears on his cheek turned to ice..After Bart Starr's QB sneak behind Jerry Kramer. He was brutalized in that game by the Packer D. Starr had a very good game in very tough conditions while Dandy Don was whacked around like a Penatta.

Very engaging guy and was the perfect foil to Cossell.

RIP

[​IMG]

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

What a damn shame.
    Never saw him play, but how many color guys have tried (and failed) to do what he was able to do? The guy was a natural.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Really, this comes as a shock. I loved the guy when I was a kid. I listened to MNF as much to hear him shove it back at Cosell as anything.

My two favorite Dandy moments:

1. Giants are playing the Cowboys (and they made a big deal of Gifford's former team playing Meredith's former team). Game is a real stinker, with several turnovers by both teams. At one point, Cosell pontificates: "Gentlemen, neither of your respective teams is distinguishing themselves tonight." To which Meredith says, "Well, Howard, at least we had respective teams."

2. Another stinker game, one-sided in favor of the road team, and the crowd start's leaving early. The camera pans in the crowd and settles on one guy who appears to be snoozing. He wakes up and fires the bird to the camera. Meredith says, "Guys, he's just saying that we're No. 1."

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

dammit. rip, dandy don.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

No. 1 just made me crack up laughing.

I only have vague memories of Dandy Don on MNF, since it was usually at my bedtime, but it always seemed like he was a lot of fun.

RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted