1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Turn off the lights of the journalism school and send everyone home.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Oggiedoggie, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

A recent graduate just e-mailed me a screen grab off of You Tube and doesn't understand why it can't be used with her story.

Quality issues aside, don't they teach anything about copyright infringement anymore?

"It's all free. It's all out there."

My head is going to hurt after my little journalism law lecture.

2. micke77

micke77 Member

OggieDoggie...unfortunately and scary, too, but that's the mindset in a lot of cases. seen it happen with some young media types around our place last couple of years.
    "Hey guys, class will now begin. Today, we discuss copyright laws."
    geez.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

IS she lovely and talented and does she twitter?

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Why would she take a screen grab? Youtube lets you embed. It truly is one of the free things on the internet. They put their little logo on it and get credit everywhere it goes.

5. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

I was asked today to take a picture of television coverage of the obama inauguration (we're a weekly) -- as in turn on my TV at home and snap a photo of the new prez. But this was from an older editor not a rookie... I suggested going to a local high school to take pictures and talk with students about the inauguration as they watched coverage ... he liked the idea and did it himself! everyone can be trained...

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

You can't embed it in the newspaper.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

You can if it's online only. C'mon, think outside the box!

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Sometimes, if I'm not mistaken, the videos posted on YouTube are protected by copyright laws (i.e. TV shows, etc.) so maybe she was trying to grab something already illegal?

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

It was of an author appearing on a network television talk show.

There was no permission for republication from the show or the network.

And the quality of the image for use in print was way too low.

What bothered me most was having to take the time to explain why we couldn't use the image. Especially given that our circulation is still more than 200,000 (I hope. I haven't checked yet today.)

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Yeah, it is pretty amazing you'd have to explain that for someone.

Again, I think it goes back to the Napster Generation and all those who feel anything and everything produce in music, literature and and all other entertainment/media should be free.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Some of the networks have YouTube channels. But a screen grab? Definitely a training moment.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

YouTube is being used with impunity on newspaper web sites.

Draft saved Draft deleted