1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Turkey of the Year -- Pat Reusse?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, Nov 24, 2011.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I love reading this annual bit by the Strib's Pat Reusse, but this year's leaves me confused.
    Am I missing some Upper Midwest joke, or did Reusse really confuse Minnesota for UMD? I mean that's a pretty big fuckup if so -- and no one on the copy desk caught it?

The mood surrounding the Turkey Banquet is always festive, and it takes on a quality that is both giddy and heartwarming when there is a chance to reflect on a grand year in Minnesota sports.

Really, when has it been better for sports fans in this region than in the 12 months since the Turkeys were last awarded?

In December, the University of Minnesota did the Maroon and Gold proud by winning its second national football title in three years, defeating Delta State 20-17 on the hallowed turf of Braly Municipal Stadium in Florence, Ala.

In April, the University of Minnesota completed a fantastic exacta by defeating Michigan 3-2 in overtime to win the NCAA men's hockey championship, on what was almost home ice at the X in St. Paul.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/134431878.html

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It looks like intentional jab directed towards the Gophers.

3. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Exactly. Because it's the University of Minnesota Duluth. So a U of M school won the national title in football and hockey. I'll admit, I had to re-read it. But it was a jab at U of M-Twin Cities.

4. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Absolutely. The Strib folks have been all over the Minnesota athletic department for the disaster that football and hockey have become.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Definitely Reusse's style of needling by embarrassing.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Yeah definitely intentional, though I had to think about it for a second. Liked that it was a slight upset and wasn't Mauer, who had to have been the betting favorite. It did sting to see John Gagliardi on there, but was probably necessary.

My parents grew up with Reusse in Fulda and they both have some awesome stories of him when he was a kid. In 9th grade, Fulda had a psychotic jv football coach. Complete asshole, dad said. One day he went on and on and on about arm tackling and how you should not do it. Get in front of the guy. First play after the lecture? Reusse arm tackles...and breaks his arm. He's rolling on the ground writhing in pain and the coach picks up the ball and fires it at Reusse, screaming at him "You stupid son of a bitch, that's what you get for arm tackling!" He then made everyone gather around and stare at the decimated Reusse as an example of what happens if you arm tackle.

Then, when I was a kid, there was something in the Fulda paper. It was like "25 years ago, Patrick Reusse broke his arm in football practice." Slow news day.

If you've read Reusse, you know his old man ran the funeral home in town. When mom was little, she was playing with Reusse's sister and Pat beckoned them into the house. He led them into a room with a naked body sprawled out on the table. Mom sprinted out, terrified, while Reusse cackled away.

7. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

A little sloppy, but I got the dig.

Draft saved Draft deleted