1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Turkey Day football 2012

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Nov 22, 2012.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And in this one, the JV did try just as hard as the varsity:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/webster-groves-jv-beats-kirkwood-in-turkey-day-game/article_73a46c52-9203-5e92-892c-f23b75cfd533.html

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'm in Rhode Island, which is all over the map with Turkey Day. Basically, three types of games going on:

1) For some traditional rivals, they're in the same division, so the Thanksgiving Day game serves as the season ending regular season game every single year. As a result...

2) ... In many cases, playoff seedings are already determined, so it's clear the coaches don't want to show off the whole playback. You'll also have kids with nagging injuries who sit, and although it's a "rivalry" for the folks in the stands, the coaches basically just treat the game like the Colts used to treat Week 17.

3) Some rivals are now in different divisions, which can be good and bad. Some of the "all-time series" records are getting pretty lopsided as a result of fluctuating populations. The two schools I've covered who are next to each other, they finally switched their rivalry to other teams around 2000, I believe, because one school was in Division I (avg. graduating class of about 300 to 400) and the other was in Division III (avg. class of 80 to 100).

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hmmmm. Many if not most coaches I know bring up the whole JV team to the varsity for the playoffs, giving them a 60-80 man roster. (Or, at some places, a luxuriant 35-40).

Of course most of the JV kids will never see the field but the coaches want the security blanket of a packed sideline and a 4-deep depth chart at every position

Draft saved Draft deleted