1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tunisia, Egypt, Bahrain, Libya...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Re: Tunisia, Egypt...

Its been the lead story on the BBC World News for like two weeks running. I know the American press has touched on it, but certainly not as much as the Brits.

I would like to see what comes of this in the long term (1yr or more). Anyone remember the near riots in Tehran a 12-18 mos ago? Nothing changed.

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

As far as TV goes, yes. But I've seen it covered in national papers quite thoroughly. Not the top story every day, but more than enough to keep me informed.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If you liked the article you'll like the book better - The Looming Tower by Lawrence Wright. Deals with the pre amble to 9/11.

Talks about how Mubarak closed down radical islamic uprisings by thrown them all in jail including Zawahiri.

What happened in Tunisia was pretty amazing. What was tried and failed in Iran.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The first causality of Wiki Leaks? Whole thing has taken on quality of Mission Impossible. Your mission Mr Graves.......

"Those cables, from the cache obtained by the anti-secrecy organization WikiLeaks and made public in recent weeks, helped fuel the anger on the streets that culminated Friday with Mr. Ben Ali’s flight after 23 years in power. Posted on a site created last month called TuniLeaks, the diplomats’ disgusted and lurid accounts of the kleptocratic ways of the president’s extended family helped tip the scales, according to many Tunisian commentators.

“What’s Yours Is Mine” was the wry title of a June 2008 cable reporting the brazen habits of the president’s clan.

“Corruption in Tunisia is getting worse,” the cable said. “Whether it’s cash, services, land, property, or yes, even your yacht, President Ben Ali’s family is rumored to covet it and reportedly gets what it wants,” the cable said, reporting that two nephews of Mr. Ben Ali’s had seized the yacht of a French businessman in 2006. "

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

By the standards of our own history and what we say that means, the people of Egypt have every moral right to overthrow their government by any means necessary. What happens after that, assuming that happens, is up to them. We need to keep our big nose out of it.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

From the 1968 Republican Party Platform, plans have a way of changing
    Organized labor has contributed greatly to the economic strength of our country and the well-being of its members. The Republican Party vigorously endorses its key role in our national life.

We support an equitable minimum wage for American workers—one providing fair wages without unduly increasing unemployment among those on the lowest rung of the economic ladder—and will improve the Fair Labor Standards Act, with its important protections for employees.

The forty-hour week adopted 30 years ago needs re-examination to determine whether or not a shorter work week, without loss of wages, would produce more jobs, increase productivity and stabilize prices.

We strongly believe that the protection of individual liberty is the cornerstone of sound labor policy. Today, basic rights of some workers, guaranteed by law, are inadequately guarded against abuse. We will assure these rights through vigorous enforcement of present laws, including the Taft-Hartley Act and the Landrum-Griffin Act, and the addition of new protections where needed. We will be vigilant to prevent any administrative agency entrusted with labor-law enforcement from defying the letter and spirit of these laws.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. printdust

printdust New Member

Before you go all liberal pacifist on me, Bubbler, any instability in ANY Muslim-majority nation is an opportunity for fundamentalist Islam. Recent history shows it. Hope they have a Western friendly democracy with any change, but I'm somewhat pessimistic on anything positive.

8. printdust

printdust New Member

You can bet, on the other hand, that radical Islamic elements won't keep out of it.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I'll admit my concern: My hope for Iraq was that if US forces liberated the country, maybe all of the people who are brainwashed to hate Western culture from birth would understand that we're not really so bad. There are a lot of reasons that really hasn't happened. Some of them were our fault (for lack of a better term), some weren't.

I really hope -- and would like to believe -- that the people of Tunisia, Egypt, Iran and anyone else who would like to overthrow a cruel, autocratic regime would do so. I really hope -- and would like to believe -- that could lead the vast majority of those people to a better, more prosperous life. But, how many times does it happen? A few of the former Eastern Bloc countries appear to be doing reasonably well, but the Middle East and Africa are so historically unstable.

I admit I don't have all the answers, and really lack a reasonable solution. But, I do worry about who steps into a vacuum.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And now Yemen. Which is totally a country in need of a power vacuum ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12295864

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Are we all clear that there is next door to nothing the U.S. can do about this, for good or ill? These folks sure aren't going to listen to us, and we can't invade them all. Tried that twice, hasn't worked.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is getting interesting. It's on the Saudi doorstep now.

We might be looking at a huge story developing -- like Eastern Europe in '89.

The thing Boom posted earlier is crucial. When people learn exactly how corrupt their leaders are, it can spark a lot of outrage.

Technology -- things like Facebook and Twitter -- are incredibly very effective in organizing a revolution.

I wonder if some of these countries have the sam ability to crack down/monitor/interfere with these social networking sites as China and Iran do/did.

It still burns me up that American technology companies assisted authoritarian regimes in cracking down and suppressing their citizens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.