1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tunisia, Egypt, Bahrain, Libya...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Anyone paying attention?

I like the idea of a popular uprising shaking off a totalitarian regime.

But, especially in Egypt, am worried about what could come next.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Re: Tunisia, Egypt...

"Be careful what you wish for" gets stuck in my head when I read about the upheaval in North Africa.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Best thing I ever read about al-Qaeda was a New Yorker profile of Ayman Al-Zawahiri. It detailed how he fomented rage from the underbelly of Cairo.

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2002/09/16/020916fa_fact2

I do not think that's an area whose destabilization would help us.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The riots are about jobs and economic opportunity, not necessarily nascent fundamentalist Islam.

It doesn't mean fundamentalist Islamic groups won't try to take advantage, but they're not driving the train here.

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I'm absolutely fascinated by the situation in Tunisia. As to what I can constructively make of it, though - I don't know.

6. YankeeFan

This is why I'm optimistic

This is why I'm worried -- especially in Egypt. Worried for the safety of the Copts too if chaos break out.

7. printdust

printdust New Member

It's all part of the plan....
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Let the adults speak, Printdust, and do some reading on what's going on in these nations.

Even YF knows this isn't about fundamentalist Islam. But keep beating your drum.

9. YankeeFan

It's even more than that. Uprisings that could possibly lead to democracies in Muslim majority nations are a threat to fundamentalist Islam. A huge threat.

Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union collapsed spectacularly and with great speed. Once it caught fire, it was all over. (Sure, Belarus is still a mess, and the Ukraine is struggling, and Russia is not where we want it to be as far as Democracy goes.)

The same thing could happen in North Africa and the Middle East. I believe it will happen one day. Whether this is the beginning of it, I don't know.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Bubbler, YF -- would you say that although this is not about Islam at the moment, it is likely to become about Islam if either country falls into chaos? I don't see any more powerful unifying force that would step in.

11. YankeeFan

That's the fear.

Supposedly Tunisia is more secular that Egypt, so maybe it's not as big a fear there.

But in Egypt, the Muslim Brotherhood and/or other radical/fundamentalists groups could be the best organized and best prepared to fill a power vacuum -- even if they did not create it.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I would like to know how this democracy thing works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.