1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tuna erasing the chalkboard ... again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Dec 18, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Because some people will never really retire:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3160597

2. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

God, what a horrible job. To run a franchise that hasn't had much success and take over a team that's starting from ground zero.
    If I were Parcells, I would hold out for the same offer coming from the Dolphins. At least there's the possibility of winning there.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I still think he ends up back with the Giants, especially if Coughlin and Co. fold down the stretch.

I'm sure he'd love to pry Crennel away from the Browns either way, but Romeo has two more years left on his deal.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Most predictable occurance of the year.

Second-most predictable: Parcells turning the Falcons down.

That makes a lot of sense. I've always thought Parcells, deep down in his mercenary, dark, grumpy soul, recognized he could have been the Giants icon to end all icons if he'd just not been such a prick. He can't be an icon now, of course, but he can end his career where he started it instead of as a Jersey guy awkwardly wearing Cowboys colors.

And does anyone really think he's not going to coach somewhere next year? No WAY he can just deal with being a GM or VP of football operations or whatever. He needs the coaching buzz.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If he wins another ring there -- doubtful, I know -- he could ride off on everyone's shoulders as Jesus II.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Given his famously short attention span, Jersey's his best chance to win in two or three years.

Of course, he did have the Jets 30 minutes from a Super Bowl two years after 1-15. But Miami and, particularly, Atlanta seem even more fucked up than Hempstead was in 1997.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

But, but ... if Parcells comes back, what will happen to those oh-so-hilarious Coors Light ads?

Actually, the first time I saw the one where he just gives the guy his wise-ass face made me laugh, but for the most part, that whole commercial series makes me want to stab pencils up my nostrils. So much potential, so shoddily executed.

Oh well. At least we're not getting Andrew W.K. frat boy bullshit.

Then again, what does it matter? Coors Light is the worst fucking beer ever brewed.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Miami and Atlanta are both really, really fucked up.

Parcells is what, 66? With some health issues in his past.

Why the hell would Parcells want to spend the last years of his life (who knows?) working his ass off to get a basket-case franchise back to .500? If he's really getting that itchy sitting around, all he'd have to do would be breathe the word, and he'd probably have his pick of jobs with half a dozen pretty good teams -- teams that won't take 5 years to get off the canvas.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Which is why the Giants make the most sense.

He coaches maybe three more years, maybe gets an NFC championship out of them and leaves some groceries for the next guy. (Crennel? Weis?)

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Crennel's no spring chicken...late 50s, I think. Not quite a heir apparent. And Weis is a train wreck. Even Akron won't look at him after this.

And Starman, you're asking why Parcells wants back in? Because he's crazy. this shit's a drug to him. He's pretty much said it before. It runs his life. He's going to die on the sideline...or, if he somehow ends up taking a GM/VP gig, at his desk. It's inevitable.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've got to think if the Cowboys really sucked this year, he wouldn't be in such a rush to get back in. The guy has a (richly earned) big ego, but when you see him leave the Pats (then they start winning trophies) so he gets back in with the Cowboys and then leaves the Cowboys and they improve (and he gets the itch again) I don't think its a coincidence. Even if he doesn't take the Falcons gig, I'm sure he enjoys the attention. On ESPN he's just another retired coach.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'm probably just a big ignoramous, but doesn't it look like the more successful Belichick gets, the more it looks like Parcells rode his coattails and not the other way around? And am I wrong in thinking Parcells might be -- deep, deep down -- thinking the same thing?

Draft saved Draft deleted