1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tulsa World, sports copy editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JRoyal, Apr 2, 2009.

1. JHath

JHath Member

I got my start here and couldn't have been luckier. In the six years I spent in Tulsa, I learned it all -- writing, editing, design, leadership -- and that definitely laid the groundwork for my current job. I also worked with extremely talented people, most of whom moved on to bigger and better things, but some of whom are still in T-Town. PM me with any questions, but I highly recommend this gig.

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

self-promotional bump.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I have to admit, I am really intrigued by this position. The pay would need to be considerably more than I'm at to get me to make a move, but trained monkeys probably make considerably more than I do.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

To borrow a line from "The Practice"..... "at least they're trained."

5. They're in the process of narrowing down the list of candidates. There's no set time on when they'll make a final call, but I do know someone that is the running for the position. He felt pretty good after his interview earlier this week.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

No doubt they will get plenty of qualified applicants, from talented up-and-comers wanting to move up to seasoned vets who had the misfortune to draw the short straw in layoffs at a major metro. It really is a buyer's market right now.

7. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

Who did they end up hiring?

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

We promoted Brandi Ball to the full-time position. We had a LOT of really good applicants, but we kept coming back to the fact that we felt we had a talented person who we felt had the most potential already in our building.

9. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Any prospects for any sports reporting openings at the World any time soon?? I used to work down there ... Bartlesville, actually.

10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Not that I can see, but you never know what will happen. Reporting jobs come open WAY less often than desk jobs, though.

11. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask ... :) I'm a desk-writing-photography guy here. Loved Northeast Oklahoma, especially going to Tulsa.

Draft saved Draft deleted