1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tulsa World, sports copy editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JRoyal, Apr 2, 2009.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

The Tulsa World is looking for someone to join our sports copy desk. I'm not going to bother posting the full job description that was sent to me, but I'll hit the highlights:

1) We want someone who can do a little of everything. We're not looking for the next great designer, nor do we need the world's greatest copy editor. We need someone who can fill a variety of roles on a given night, from laying out pages to editing stories to posting breaking news to the Tulsa World's Web site. Like a lot of sports desks, we wear a lot of different hats, so we're looking for someone with a varied skill set.

2) We'd like someone who is Internet savvy. We've made a lot of strides with our Web site in the last few years, and we're looking to make more. If you have ideas for how to improve things online, then you'll improve your chances of getting hired.

3) We work in InDesign and InCopy for layout and editing, and we're on a DTI editorial system. Experience with any or all of these will be a bonus, but it's not required as long as you have some kind of pagination experience.

4) We'd like someone with experience, but we have hired folks straight out of college. If you're good, you've got a shot.

If you have any questions, shoot me a message or just ask below. If you'd like to apply, you can send your resume to hr@tulsaworld.com.
  2. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Any ballpark ideas of what this might pay or how the person factors in with the recent layoffs?
  3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

The salary is negotiable based on experience, but I can say it's pretty good for this part of the country. As for the recent layoffs, our publisher told us in February that he felt the layoffs had put our staff at a position where we can operate effectively for the foreseeable future without any need for more cutbacks. That said, another major jolt to the economy could throw a wrench in everything. But as long as things don't get a lot worse than they are now, we hopefully won't have any more major staff reductions.
  4. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Thanks. Was this position by chance one of the ones that were cut, or did someone leave the paper?
  5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

One of our staff, Sarah Hart, is leaving sports to become Assistant Scene Editor for us, so that's how the position opened up.
  6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm guessing --- please correct me if I'm wrong --- that it's a standard 4 p.m.-1 a.m. shift.

What's the average news hole on a typical weekday like today? How many people are there in the sports department?
  7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Yeah, standard night shift. 4:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. most nights, a little later on football nights. We've been 6-8 daily sections lately with 10-14 on Sundays, depending on what's been going on basketball-wise. We've got eight full-timers on the desk with one part-timer, and we often get help from our news design staff and sometimes from our writers.
  8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

8 full-timers on the desk? Wow! That's as many as some metros these days, from what I'm hearing.
  9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

It's not a bad-sized desk, but rare are the nights that we're not busy from the start of the night to the end. Now that basketball season is over, there may be a few more, but still, we keep pretty busy.
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Glad to see someone is hiring.
  11. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I'll echo that, and hope that the World finds who they are looking for.
  12. Tulsa is a great regional section and does an outstanding job for a paper its size. I enjoy it.
Draft saved Draft deleted