1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tulsa World Sports Copy Editor (Slot)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JRoyal, Apr 8, 2013.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

OK, here's the official post on the ACES website:

A couple of things: Design is not an emphasis of this job. We want someone to head the sports desk a few nights a week. Sometimes, that will mean laying out a page or two, but they will be inside pages.

Also, I'm posting this but I will not be leading the hiring process; HR will handle the initial stages, and Presentation Editor Tim Chamberlin and Night Editor John Walblay will take things from there. But if you have questions about the World or Tulsa or Oklahoma, let me know. I've been at the World for almost eight years now and grew up here in the Sooner State, so I've got a pretty good feel about how things work.

If you have questions, shoot me a message on here or post below and I'll answer as best as I can or I'll direct you to someone who can answer. Thanks.

James Royal
    Chief Designer
    Tulsa World

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

A successful applicant can start by telling HR the word currently is superfluous in the lede sentence.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You're looking for someone to head the sports desk a couple nights a week and sports knowledge is a "plus?"

4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I don't know where that wording came from. I didn't have anything to do with putting together the post. I said the same thing when I read it earlier today.

5. imjustagirl

I meant the royal "you." Not you. :D

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

The Royal him is him. :D

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Is it just me or does Royal You sound like an album name for a British rock band?

8. imjustagirl

Well played.

9. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

It appears Pam Clark, formerly the sports editor at the Springfield (Missouri) News-Leader, got this one, for those who are interested.

EDIT: Had wrong last name in previous post. Corrected it now.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

That's Pam Clark, who also has done desk duty in San Antonio and Wichita.

11. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Yep, Pam started for us a couple of weeks ago. Good people. We're happy to have her on board.

Draft saved Draft deleted