1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tulsa World lays off 26

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Jan 6, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

This is a good shop and a good paper.
    Sad news and bad news for the people in Tulsa.
    Anyone know if any of the 26 were in sports?

http://poynter.org/forum/view_post.asp?id=13760

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

26? My god.
    This business is dead but we already knew that.

3. Twirled

Twirled New Member

One of the cuts was a sports desker, Adam Daigle.

Four graphics artists were canned, leaving only the graphics editor in that department.

Those terminated got two weeks pay plus health insurance through the month.

They were sent an email Monday afternoon about a Tuesday morning meeting, where they were terminated.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Two weeks TOTAL?

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's my question as well.
    Back to Tulsa, this shop was seen as a place that was kind of bulletproof. Family owned and operated. Totally dominates the market and quirky in that way only a family owned paper can be. For example, they don't do a paper for Christmas Day.
    For them to be laying people off, that's a wow.

6. Bumping this, because I can't believe it.

7. I was the lone casualty in sports.

As I type this 24 hours after my dismissal, no one has given me a concrete answer as to why I was chosen. Not that I wish this on anyone else, but there are people still working there who have served suspensions - some more than once. I can only assume it was since I was the last FT hired (June 06). Life, as they say, isn't fair.

To my knowledge, they eliminated graphics, Satellite (weekly teen section), a night reporter, an internet reporter, some folks in research (don't know all of them, but there were some in there), a photographer, a A1 designer and a news copy editor. I am told the news copy editor got the news while on vacation.

There were some bright, talented people in that room.

And all this after a night where I was in the slot with one of the smallest crews I've ever had. We busted our ass to get a paper out on deadline.

8. Nice that they waited until Tulsa played its bowl game to drop the hammer. Bastards.

9. bake1234

bake1234 Member

Devastating news. My heart goes out to a great staff and great paper.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I second that. Tulsa's an underrated city and its paper is the same. It flies under the radar... unfortunately, today's news was for all the wrong reasons.

11. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

My heart goes out to you because the same thing happened at my last gig as a desker. Good luck finding another gig. If anyone can land on their feet, it is you.

I know th

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Sorry. You seem like a class act. The powers that be wait until the bowl game ends then axes somebody. Great.
    Sounds like their cuts were not very classy. Good luck to you. It does suck knowing it was not job related and there's nothing you could have done.

Draft saved Draft deleted