1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tulsa columnist blames Texas for OU not winning national title

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SockPuppet, Apr 8, 2009.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Dave Sittler of the Tulsa World writes that had Texas not mugged and concussed Blake Griffin that Oklahoma could have been playing North Carolina in the national title game. He also claims that OU played North Carolina tougher than any team in the tournament.
    Any college hoops experts care to weigh in?

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I actually liked the column more than I thought I would.

The writer clearly did some legwork -- getting some extra stuff out of Griffin, emailing Capel during the first half, explaining how the S-curve works -- to the point where you could say, there's something to read here. And I'm sure there were a few good teams on Carolina's side of the bracket looking at the destruction of Michigan State and saying, "Damn. That could have been us."

Plus, blaming Texas for an Oklahoma defeat will entertain the readers.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I don't know Dave, but I think perhaps he should have given a little more thought to what he thought was a good subject for a column.

4. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

The OU/UNC game was over midway through the first half. You could really see the writing on the wall a few minutes in.

LSU was up on UNC past the midway point of the second half. With a gimpy Lawson, UNC's fate was up in the air.

So, as far as "OU played UNC tougher than ANYONE!!!!" goes, no.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

It's a bit lazy for the wrtier to go for the obvious angle.

Texas is always to blame for anything and everything bad that happens in or to Oklahoma.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

It's a decent premise, and it's actually rather true, but the attitude of superiority and fandom probably isn't the right approach to it.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Dave is a man who clearly knows his audience.

They'll eat this shit up in Oklahoma.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I bet that column makes Texas fans happy too.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

It'd be an interesting column if he weren't flat wrong.
    The committee regarded Memphis to be the "best" of the No. 2 seeds, which is why the Tigers were sent to the region with the weakest of the No. 1s, UConn.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

If Ty Lawson doesn't get hurt, Carolina is the No. 1 overall seed instead of Louisville. If Jerome Dyson doesn't get hurt, UConn wins the Big East instead of Louisvielle and is the No. 2 overall seed and maybe Louisville isn't even among the top four..
    And then brackets are completely different and who do the whiny fanbois in Oklahoma blame then?

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Texas

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

No introspection . . . just point fingers . . .

OK!

Draft saved Draft deleted