1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tulsa 1B coach Mike Coolbaugh killed by line drive

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnoopyBoy, Jul 23, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My guess is they either didn't see it or it was so quick that it looked like it hit him in the head.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm sure video of the incident will emerge from one or the other team or maybe a fan.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Now THAT I won't watch.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Holy shit. That's some amazing reportage.

Well-done.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Some really nice detail there.

6. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

All the talk about helmets for coaches in the box is irrelevent; wouldn't have mattered in this case.

It's such a blink of the eye moment, no one was sure where exactly the ball hit him I think until the autopsy. Just pretty much assumed it was the side of his head.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Well, the earflaps on the helmet might have protected that part of his neck. No way to really know.

Glenallen Hill wore one today in the Rockies game, BTW.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Sports/196533

Not to be too coarse, but this is an award winner. I could barely make it through the first five grafs. And then the detail of the injury (which was posted above)? Holy, holy shit ... :'(

The quotes are tremendous. The chronology of the accident, then the EMTs, then the phone call to the league president ... just chilling.

Seriously, I have fucking chills.

I never want to read that story again. And I hope he never has to write a story like that again. But he wrote the shit out of this one.

Wow.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Good link, buck.
    That was a powerful story. Very, very well written.

I feel so terrible for the guy who hit the foul ball. I wonder if he will be able to play anymore. Just a fucked up situation.
    The thing that is really weird is I was at a Texas League game that night and I wonder what it would have been like to have seen it in person, must have been pretty messed up.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Awesome job by Crise.

Wish the site's coding wasn't messed up on the sub-heads, it makes it odd to read in places.

11. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Thankfully, the only video being shot was by the Travelers.

There was a local affiliate on site earlier in the game, but they're folks left after getting the footage they needed for the 10 p.m. newscast.

Hopefully, the Travelers footage will be destroyed ASAP.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Some followup BLOG! coverage
    http://travelerocity.blogs.com/travelerocity/2007/07/ribbons-in-thei.html#comments

Draft saved Draft deleted