1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tulsa 1B coach Mike Coolbaugh killed by line drive

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnoopyBoy, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Holy smokes ... this is another one of those situations that reminds you how precious and fragile life is. One second you're out there living life, in the moment, enjoying what you do and the next second it's over.
    Let's all take a moment to be thankful and do something special for someone today. Not just the people we love but the people we don't always get along or agree with.

2. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I was just going to get into that regarding the metal bats until I noticed your post about it being wood. The speed balls come off those bats, especially back at the mound, is deadly. This must come fairly quickly, or as a new coach, maybe he took his eye off the play a second longer than he should have. That's a real tragedy, especially with a young family. RIP Mike.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Someone else mentioned it before, it really is amazing this doesn't happen more often. Even at other levels (Little League on up), and whether it's first- and third-base coaches but players and umpires, especially those up the middle. So sad.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Ditto, that's the first thing I thought of. We had a photog at our shop that changed her lenses during at bats. The mangager actually came out of the dugout once to stop her.

This story is awful. My prayers for his family.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's a good question. I doubt you'll have many -- if any -- coaches wanting to wear helmets while in the coaching boxes. I remember not wanting to wear one in Teener League when I coached first base because "it looked dumb" and "what are the chances that a baseball's going to hit me in the head?"

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Just as further reference, most youth hockey coaches are now required to wear helmets to practice.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Great post.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Since I didn't make this clear enough for some person who shall remain anonymous ....

What I meant was this: This happened in Little Rock, yet the Arkansas Online story makes it look like the Little Rock paper had only a brief. Apparently the full story is only available to subscribers.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Not to speak ill of the DOG ... or its writer, with whom I am familiar (I will leave it at that) ... but even its full write-up had info supplied from the World. Probably mostly reax from the Drillers' side.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

question: how can a 35-year-old ex-player fail to be agile enough to avoid being hit in the head by a foul? something amiss here. could he not have been paying attention? distracted by something? ??? ??? ???

i mean, there's a reason few can recall anything like this ever happening, right? there has to be more to this, no? ??? ??? ???

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you are coaching first base and there is a runner on first, you might be looking to see if he has a good lead, is stealing second, getting back to the base etc, etc, etc.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Things like that happen in an instant. Chances are, assuming the ball was hit hard enough -- and it probably was, considering it killed a man -- I'd say Mike had less than a couple ticks to get out of the way.

Draft saved Draft deleted