1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tulane Beat Writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Riddick, Aug 3, 2007.

1. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Spinning, I don't know what your background is, but while Occasionally probably overstated how "back" things are, he's a bit closer than being not "even close to accurate. I just moved to New Orleans a month ago. Got a job within 2 weeks, and I'm truly glad I moved. Best decision I ever made.

That said, no, it's not totally back. And no, the trolleys aren't running down St. Charles Ave. (they're slated to run to Napoleon Ave. along St. Charles in the next month or two, with the complete route up Carrollton to resume in a year). Yes, Gentilly is desolate in areas. The Ninth Ward isn't close to returning. And Lakeview is coming along. By no means is this place what it was before Katrina. But it's coming back.

If you stay away from Central City and out of the drug loop, you're going to be fine. But that's the way it has always been. In any major metro city there's going to be the random violence.

Basically, the crux of my point is this: If you want to apply for the Tulane job, by all means go for it. The town need more college-educated folks and smart folks. You're going to be safe (mostly) and you're going to love it.

It's a great job to apply for.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Not to be overly cynical, but most of the people who left probably weren't big subscribers...

3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I said earlier in the thread, it will be a great job for someone moving up in the business.

I've spent a lot of time in N.O., and much of it outside the French Quarter. Having been there recently (first time since Katrina), I just don't think it's an accurate representation to say things are pretty much back to normal. Hell, even the Quarter isn't the same -- lots of restaurants and shops close down early now, there's still significant unrepaired damage, and the crowds aren't what they used to be.

How many people even live in New Orleans now? When I was down there, I kept hearing 200,000 or so.

4. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

You're right about restaurants not running on normal hours now, and how some are closed that were open before. there's something like 66 percent of the pre-katrina population back (according to U.S. Postal service numbers, that is).

But I think the situation isn't nearly as bad as people think. Of course, it's not nearly as good as some people make it out to be. I spent years coming here prior to my move, so I knew what it was like before. And now i know what it's like to live here after.

5. Who's Katrina?

6. Some bitch.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I read a story in american journalism review that said the paper was at 180k

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

She was walking on sunshine. Then the waves hit. <ducksrottenvegetables>

9. printdust

printdust New Member

Rumor has it they already have their eyes set on a female. A minority hire is the logical step here.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good opportunity and a stepping-stone for a young writer. I imagine you'll have a lot better access than at some big-time college programs, especially with football.

11. Miles O'Toole

Miles O'Toole Member

Anybody know a timetable for this job? Football season is about to start so you figure the T-P would want to move quickly.

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

You'd think so. Give it a week or two tops.

Draft saved Draft deleted