1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tuition Reimbursement

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KevinmH9, Dec 14, 2008.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I've decided that going back to school to attain get my graduate degree will be the only way I'll get out of this business and into something with more security and better pay; however, I have no way to pay for additional education. Has anyone worked for an employer which provided tuition reimbursement? I've researched the benefits of the program and it sounds helpful for people who are really interested in furthering their education.

Has anyone actually ever taken advantage of it? If so, did you receive enough money to pay for your full tution or just a fraction of it?

2. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

My company (I'm not in the newspaper business anymore) has a tuition reimbursement program: You have to be with the company for a year to be eligible, and they'll pay for one class per quarter/semester. The class/degree you pursue has to be applicable to the mental health field (the industry in which I'm currently working).

Seems like a good program to me, and I'll probably take advantage of it once I hit the one-year mark.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Some employers pay for the courses based on the grade attained.

If you get a 4.0, they will pay for the entire class, a 3.5 would be 90 percent and so on.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, when I worked at the local community college, I got tuition remission. They paid the amount per credit hour for tuition at the college, whether you went to the college for a course or not.

Sometimes, it wasn't nearly as much as you'd pay if you went to a university, but it was something. If I remember correctly, they paid one and a half times the cost of their tuition per credit hour if you went to graduate school.

When I went to get my bachelor's degree, my dad's partner's employer paid full tuition. They also would have paid room and board if I'd asked for it. I had to earn at least a "C" in a course or I'd have to reimburse the employer.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's like when my parents used to pay me for getting good grades in high school.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

There actually isn't anything out there with good security or pay right now. too much uncertainty.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My company pays partial tuition as long as the education benefits the job.

And according to everyone who has applied... the company believes there is no education that benefits the job. They wouldn't even pick up part of the tab when our lead investigative reporter got a law degree.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

My shop gave me $1,000 each year for school. I only needed two years to finish three years of classes, so I got 2 grand. That MAY have covered the books, but I'm very, very, very grateful for it.

Now that I've finally graduated (two days ago), I look forward to paying off my student loans as soon as effing possible.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Does Gannett still have its tuition program? I used that for a couple semesters before the paper got sold. Nice deal, at the time.

10. The Life

The Life Member

I take full advantage of my company's tuition reimbursement program. It's actually a great thing, the only caveat being that you must stay with the company for a year afterward to keep all the cash. Otherwise you must pay back. I'm not planning on leaving, so it's not an issue. And if I do, I'm assuming the pay increase will counterbalance the money I'll need to pay back.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

My company used to have a reimbursement program. Had to have a C average at the end of each semester to be eligible and I think each letter grade above that was worth so much money back.

Obviously that didn't cover everything, but it helped.

12. RossLT

RossLT Guest

So if you get a 1.0 they still might pay 60 percent. Score!!!!

:)

Draft saved Draft deleted