1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Tubby's our basketball coach"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm convinced. Smith is a horseshit coach who doesn't know what he's doing and has lucked into a .700 winning percentage and all those SEC titles and trips to the regional finals. How Smith has lasted this long when he clearly can't coach, recruit, and is a total prick, I'll never know. He should have never gotten the job since anyone can win a national title when you have good players. YES, ANYONE CAN WIN A NATIONAL TITLE WHEN YOU HAVE SOMEONE ELSE'S GOOD PLAYERS. ANYONE. IT'S SO FUCKING EASY. Just ask all the coaches who have one. I mean, fucking everyone does, right?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Finally, someone gets it.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You're right. I mean, just look at Roy Williams. :D

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Hey, I got it. I said they're idiots to want to get rid of him. I just lacked moderbutt's eloquence. So, uh, yeah. What he said ...

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Donovan can't do any better than he is now no matter where he goes, unless you believe Donovan in Lexington would produce some sort of Woodenesque dynasty. He won a NCAA title last year. He's the top overall seed this year with a damn good shot a repeating. He'll probably have a Final Four contender from here on out and I heard on the radio yesterday that he founded a catholic school in Gainesville. Sounds like something you would do if you were ready to bolt in conference.

And the fans that think there are only five coaches in the country that wouldn't take the job are going to be very disappointed when Jay Wright and Billy Clyde Gillispie say thanks, but no thanks. Then I supppose it will be the AD's fault for not doing what it takes to land these guys.

All Tubby needs to do is go out and find an assistant that's a dynamite recruiter. Norm Roberts might be looking for a job at some point.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

What's Richie Farmer up to these days?

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Yep. Not like Alabama football at all …

It’s so much harder to be consistently great these days. Why do people not understand this? Welcome to the modern college sports world — it’s cyclical.

Kentucky should be better than it has been the past few years, but that sense of entitlement is ridiculous.

Billy D. has the better job right now. No doubt about it. It would be much, much, much easier to recruit a top-notch basketball talent to Florida than Kentucky right now.

8. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Go ask any college basketball coach which job is better: Kentucky or Florida?

Seriously, I challenge you to do this.

Let me know...

9. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Calipari will NEVER coach the University of Kentucky basketball team. I'm willing to bet my life on that.

Barnhart was brought to UK to clean up an athletics department with a history of NCAA problems, and he was criticized BIG-TIME when he hired Rich Brooks as the football coach. Brooks had NCAA problems at Oregon, and, though very minor, they got a lot of publicity around Kentucky. I know Calipari was absolved from the problems that went on at UMass in 1996, but it still doesn't change his history.

I would be VERY, VERY surprised if Barnhart gives Cal a second look if and when it's time for a new coach. VERY surprised.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Coach I cover says Kentucky "isn't worth the bullshit" unless you're getting a lot more money than you would someplace else.

I guess we can agree to disagree and move on, but Kentucky basketball — like Bama football — isn't the job it has been in the past. One of the best? You bet. But not leaps and bounds better than other top SEC jobs like it was. If no one agrees with me, I'll quietly move along...

11. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

You're nuts. Any coach that can recruit worth a damn would be able to sell UK over Florida, especially when they take an official visit and see UK's new practice facility, which is miles ahead of any basketball-related facility at any school in the country. If it's that much easier, shouldn't Pat Patterson and Jai Lucas already have their minds made up?

And what of Jodie Meeks, a Georgia POY that chose Kentucky over Florida?

And I'm still failing to see how UK's fan base is feeling a "ridiculous" sense of entitlement. Losing than 25 games in two seasons and grabbing two straight 8 seeds SHOULD upset Kentucky fans. It would upset UNC fans, it would upset Kansas fans, it would upset Indiana fans, it would upset UCLA fans and it would upset Louisville fans. And those are pretty much the only schools UK fans measure themselves against.

Conference titles and conference tourney titles don't mean as much to a fan base that has more of each than the rest of the SEC combined, even if the SEC has improved 10-fold over the past decade. It's all about March in KY, and in March, Tubby and UK simply haven't performed.

Simple as that. I'm not saying it's right, and I certainly don't expect anyone who hasn't lived in that culture their entire lives to understand completely, but that's the way UK fans look at it. Just the way it is, I guess.

12. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I'm not sure which coach you cover, Hammer Pants, but I can tell you this much: Your boy Bruce Pearl would crawl on his fucking hands and knees from Knoxville to Lexington for that job.

Draft saved Draft deleted