1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tubby Smith Out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportshack06, Mar 22, 2007.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

We've been hearing Calipari, Gillispie, Donovan, Ford, Pelphrey, D'Antony (sp), Mark Few, Tom Crean thrown around.

I think Ford and Pelphrey are already out, even though they are UK alums, only because they haven't done much in their respective coaching careers. Gillispie did just sign an extension, but UK has the money to buy that contract out. Donovan and Crean might be hard to lure from their jobs, but we'll see.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sid Hartman just wet himself.... if he can't have Bob Knight, this is the next best choice...

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Katz on ESPN seems to think UK will indeed make a run at Izzo. Maybe he's just blowing smoke, but Katz usually does have something to go on when he throws out stuff like this.

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Nice job Michigan. ::)

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Other than Katz' stuff, I haven't heard much about Izzo coming here.

6. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

If I was Izzo, I would stay at MSU.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The only big-time coaches who I could see being interested are Thad Matta or Bill Self... I still don't think it will happen...

Donovan is a God at Florida. They'll pay any amount to keep him and he'd be insane to leave. The same holds true for Izzo, although I've read that he's had issues with the AD and didn't he tell Mariucci to stay away from the football job?

Why would Kentucky even have interest in Tom Crean?

I could see them going after Calipari, although I don't know if he'd be interested. If Pitino is smart, he won't even take the call, unless it's to get himself more money in Louisville. If I'm not mistaken, isn't Pitino the highest-paid coach in the college game right now?

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

PLEASE take Bill Self

9. I concur.

He will also do a good job of recruiting.

Maturi hit a homerun with this hire.

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Because he is a hell of a recruiter (landing kids like Wade and Dom James), he is succeeding in the BEast (when many thought that the smaller schools, like Marquette, could end up floundering in a very demarcated conference), he kicked Tubby's ass in the Elite Eight in 2003 (when Tubby had the No. 1 team in the nation) and he is probably available for the right price.

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

O/U on number of Minnesotans on roster next year........4

12. chester

chester Member

I just can't see Matta leaving Ohio State right now. He's got another decent crop of recruits coming in, and I don't think it's set in stone that Oden's leaving for the pros. He still looks like he could use a year's polish on his offensive game. As for Self, why leave Kansas? I'm a Kentucky alum, but I see that as one of the few programs where it truly is a lateral move at best.

Draft saved Draft deleted