1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TSN SportsCentre Raptor coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sea Bass, May 18, 2019.

1. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

I haven't watched TSN's Sportscentre or whatever Sportsnet's version of it is in years because this is the norm. However, we are watching it as people with a background in journalism so we notice. I believe the general fans think it's OK.
    Check out this tweet from Gino Reda, who I believe is the host of TSN's daily hockey show. This is a journalist?
    Teams that have led a best of 7 series 2-0 have gone on to clinch 94% of the time. Hey @Bucks .... welcome to “The Six(%)” @Raptors #NBAPlayoffs[​IMG]

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Meh, the rules are different between broadcast and print. Broadcasters don't hold themselves to the same standard as print journalists. Besides, it's a hockey guy tweeting about basketball, for what that's worth.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It can get real bad in a home team's market coming up on the final series on both sides of the border. TV stations carrying the title games will have segments on fans, sports shops, remotes from sports bars, whatever, during the news just to remind you the game is on their channel. IIRC, when the Flames made their last Cup finals appearance, newscasters in Calgary would wear Flames sweaters on the air for the entire newscast.

Many moons ago, the high school football team I covered advanced to the final four of the Section playoffs (as far as you could go in California then), and one day when I was laying out my pages, the publisher walked through the department asking how "we" would do Friday night. After he left, I turned to a colleague and asked, "When did the Podunk Press get a football team?"

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

John Feinstein told the same story about working at the Washington Post in the late 70s when Ben Bradlee, wanting to know who the Redskins drafted. walked into the sports department and asked who “we “ drafted. Feinstein told him he wasn’t aware the Post owned a football team. Bradlee told him if he didn’t like it, he could walk out the door.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I am more bothered by the lack of punctuation.

Draft saved Draft deleted