1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TSN SportsCentre Raptor coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sea Bass, May 18, 2019.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

So I’m watching TSN’s SportsCentre wrapup of last night’s Raptors/Bucks game. The two desk hosts seem decidedly pro-Raptors. I get that they’re a rights holder and Toronto is Canada’s only NBA team, but still it seems bush league.

We have one of the hosts saying “we have some work to do” and the other sighing deeply at mention of the 0-2 hole the Raptors are in. Them “I hate to say it but it’s starting to look like Milwaukee is a better team.” (Well yeah, they only had the best record in the NBA). Then a bit about how frustrating this all is.

This isn’t raptorfans.com doing this, it’s a national broadcaster. Am I overreacting when I say it’s bush league? Or is this just standard fare these days? I honestly don’t watch a lot of nightly highlight shows anymore.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  2. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Who cares it’s Canada

3. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

It’s a national broadcaster with one team from the nation in its coverage area. Does NBC not take a pro-U.S. approach during the Olympics?

4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I suppose, although I generally watch Canadian network coverage. Which is decidedly pro-Canada, so I see your point.

Perhaps I was overly grouchy this morning. It just came off as amateur hour.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Wow. In case you didn't know, we have a few folks from that wonderful land on this board. I've had the world's greatest fortune to meet some of them in person. Be better ... or just go away.

Yes. But it's a garbage approach and I think you know it. I understand tilting it toward what the U.S. does, but NBC can sometimes overstep.

Liut likes this.
  6. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Who cares it’s Canada

JM22720 and justgladtobehere like this.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Canada, eh?

Liut likes this.
  8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I roll my eyes too when NBC wraps itself in the U.S. flag in Olympics coverage. So I understand the sentiment.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Sea Bass and Liut like this.
  10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I sure as hell care. I'm trying to sell a book there!

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    HanSenSE likes this.
  11. RARist

RARist Member

TSN's parent company is a part-owner of the team, along with Sportsnet, the other cable sports network. They're always pretty cozy. Sportsnet's coverage of the Blue Jays, which it owns wholly, is nauseating.

Liut likes this.
  12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

When things go well lots of media outlets start to become boosters. How does TSN cover the Blue Jays and Raptors when adversity strikes?

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted