1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TSN ranking of 66 BCS coaches

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, May 6, 2007.

1. bomani jones

bomani jones Member

Jim Grobe reminds me of something my father always said when he made a case for the dominance of David Robinson.

"Look, he damn near took Navy to the Final Four."

And Wake Forest in the Orange Bowl, after the team just about fell apart early because of injuries, was more shocking than that.

2. formulacola

formulacola Member

And Schiano's just one spot ahead of Al Groh? Never knew maintaining mediocrity at Virginia/doing a C- job at Wake and building Rutgers into something were so similar.

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

As far as play caller, Steve Spurrier(by far) tops the list for me.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Very true. But his body of work in Miami give us something on which to judge and rank accordingly.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I can go with that.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I actually think he's higher than he's ranked. Miami was in a mess and he put the pieces back together. But that was a few years ago. On Miami alone, I'd have him in the top 10.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. Davis did an incredible job turning around Miami.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

Yet another embarrassing day for the alma mater -- ranked one spot behind a guy who has never coached a game.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Weird list. How can Houston Nutt be in the top 20, given what happened in the last year? It's a disaster waiting to happen down there.

The list has a lot of weird inconsistencies and it's hard to say it's taking into account. Bobby Johnson doesn't even have a winning season at Vandy...what makes him more successful or
    "better" than Phil Fulmer? And I'm no Fulmer fan, either. And, Jesus...Les Miles - who did a nice job at Oklahoma State and has successfully transitioned at LSU - is 41st, and also behind Johnson? Urban Meyer is behind Dennis Erickson?

And Weis at 42...oh, come on.

10. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Well Dennis Erickson has two national titles with Miami and a BCS Bowl victory with Oregon State while Weis' signature victory in college football was a 3-point road win over a 7-6 Michigan team.

11. dog428

dog428 Active Member

If you're gonna give guys like Butch Davis and Nick Saban credit for what they've done at previous stops, don't you have to extend the same credit to Spurrier? Seems a little low to me at No. 8, especially given the success he's had at South Carolina.

12. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Spurrier with an ACC title with Duke, National title and five SEC titles at Florida probably deserves Top 5 although a pessimist will say he should've had at least three national titles at Florida.

Draft saved Draft deleted