1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TSN/CTV offers $1.4 billion for Hockey Night in Canada

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Aug 11, 2006.

1. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I figured that day would come, actually at about the same time as the CBC almost didn't retain Ron MacLean. CTV has the bucks, and I think the desire, to get these properties. Personally, I'd be all for it, since I've never been a big CBC booster (but that's another debate for another place).

And yes, I'd gladly stomach Berman if it means never having to watch Pierre MaGuire whine and repeat the same annoying, obvious comments night after night. As an added bonus, they'd probably have Berman doing CFL so I wouldn't have to watch Brian WIlliams either. Lets do it!

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No.
    There are a lot of regular CBC watchers who hate hockey and there's a huge bitchfest that goes on every spring when the playoffs start and CBC has hockey practically every night for two weeks.

On the other hand, a lot of hockey watchers probably never watch anything else on CBC.

There's an element among the so-called cultural elite who think hockey has no place on CBC--it should be kept for re-runs of King of Kensington, the Beachcombers and Front Page Challenge.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Who actually owns HNIC rights? I thought Labatt's did once upon a time and now it's another independent outfit, not the networks. Clue in a clueless Yankee, please.

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

My cable system has CBC, so I'm completely against this.

Of course, I was thinking about ordering the NHL package this season...

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Hey, I'm all for this. Production-wise I think TSN surpassed CBC years ago. They have the bucks to pump into the program and don't have to worry about public funding and this could be a crucial nail in the CBC's coffin. Hopefully this will also encourage TSN to get a few more Oilers games on their sched. The fact they have only four Oilers game all season this year is a joke. The fact they have more Detroit games in the first two months of the season than Oilers games all season is an absolute embarrassment.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Here it is:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1153000221668&call_pageid=970599109774&col=Columnist980457778002

7. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Versus (nee OLN) has released its NHL broadcast schedule and nary an Oiler game on it...you mean they almost won the Cup last year?

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Well, he kind of has been exported part-time because he was part of OLN's coverage and then NBC's playoff coverage. During the finals he was falling all over himself to praise the Oilers and seemed to be pained to say something positive about the Hurricanes.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, but we'd be happy to donate him permanently: you know, like Celine and Howie Mandel.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I can get CBC on an over-the-air station. I can't get TSN/CTV at all. So I'd hate this switch too.

11. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

If you have a soul you will.

/Center Ice fan boy/

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Count me among the CBC fans.  Besides, if the CBC loses HNIC that's less work for Elliotte.

What do you people have against Elliotte?  :mad:

Draft saved Draft deleted