1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TSN/CTV offers $1.4 billion for Hockey Night in Canada

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Aug 11, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

2. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Well, that'll accelerate their slow death.

Sorry CBC, but your time has come and gone. You're nothing more than PBS after this goes through.

I do hope that if it does go to TSN/CTV, they get to keep the theme song. That would be truly tragic to lose.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

They need to go back to the original theme song from the '60s and '70s. The remakes have never, ever cut it for me.

This is not good news. Bell Globemedia, which owns CTV, TSN, Bell Canada, the Globe and Mail and numerous other TV and radio stations -- they're in the process of taking over the CHUM empire -- is fast becoming Canada's only media conglomerate. That means convergence and consolidation among its properties, less choice for consumers and fewer jobs for journalists.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Bell Globemedia also owns a chunk of the Maple Leafs.

And I know I'm a minority here but I'm a big fan of CBC--televison and radio.

They have stuff--good commercial stuff and documentaries--that you won't find on any other stations.

But they'll lose a ton of ad revenue if they lose hockey.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I thought ESPN owned TSN?

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Bad news for CBC. Great news for the NHL.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Which makes this comment hilariously naive.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

ESPN owns around 20% of TSN.

"Sportscentre" used to be "Sportsdesk" until ESPN bought a chunk of them.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of most of TSN's hockey coverage.

I like Glenn Healy and Chris Cuthbert is a great announcer but I'm not a big fan of James Duthie and if there's one fucking Canadian I would like to export permanently to the US it's Pierre "I know more about hockey than anyone in the universe" Maguire.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Ah, SportsCentre ... a staple in our Toronto hotel room.

10. Only if your're willing to take Chris Berman or Stuart Scott. Then we can talk.

And you have to throw in some Tim Horton's.  ;)

11. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Wouldn't HNIC be part of the CBCs cultural mandate? Yes, it's a sport but the game is a big part of Canadian culture.

12. patchs

patchs Active Member

One of the papers had a huge enterprise on this when we were in Toronto for the outting. It was a good piece and if there weren't so many papers (G&M, NP, Toronto Star), I could remember where I read it.
    If ABC can say bye-bye to MNF, then CBC can lose HNC.

Draft saved Draft deleted