1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TSN baseball hire

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A lot of companies/papers won't hire back an employee who they've let go because they know they won't be as loyal to the company/paper as someone who is getting a career break.

I don't think that applies in this case, because the SE is gone and the employee in question is one who had been there 25+ years.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Just bringing this full circle, from the Milwaukee side...sent to me via PM:

Marquette beat writer Todd Rosiak will be the new No. 2 Brewers guy (with Anthony Witrado leaving). Todd will retain his Marquette duties as well. So obviously he won't be at spring training. No idea if another hire will be made. I've also heard that columnist Michael Hunt could be pulled in for Brewers, but not sure what came of that.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

My best friend worked at my last paper with me, and when it closed, we were all out of jobs. On the next-to-last day, she interviewed for a job at the main paper (we were a subsidiary product). She got the job a few weeks later. One of the provisos of the severance package was that if you got hired by the same company during your severance period, you paid back a prorated amount. But since she knew that getting this job was a possibility, she arranged to have her severance paid bi-weekly instead of one lump sum, so she didn't have to pay anything at all.

It sucked that we lost our jobs, but at least the main paper had the good sense of mind to hire our best copy editor, and a person I'd take 10 bullets and a car bomb for. So sometimes you can come home again.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Why, haven't you heard? The Milwaukee newspaper can reduce staffing of the Brewers because student-journalists will be handling much of spring training:

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/romenesko/117034/j-students-to-cover-brewers-spring-training-for-milwaukee-journal-sentinel/

Draft saved Draft deleted